New 1.1 entity statuses explained?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

New 1.1 entity statuses explained?

Post by Usul »

Hi!

Where can I find explanations of the new entity statuses introduced in 1.1? Some of them I find a bit odd and don't understand their purpose:

A car is always showing "working", whether it's standing still, driving, without fuel. I have yet to notice a situation where it isn't "working" so what is the purpose of this status? Are there any others? Same with Tank, but Loco has no status. *confused*

A chest is always showing "normal"... what does that mean, or in which cases does it have a different status.

Cargo wagon status... *confused*

Please demysitfy, thanks! 8-)

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New 1.1 entity statuses explained?

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Have a look at this bug report. 91889
Kovarex is working on it. Maybe it will be a bit clearer once he’s finished.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The logic of the entities is unchanged. The "status" is just so everything has it. There's really nothing behind it except now they all show *something*. You can just ignore it for basically everything if it's doing what you want it to do.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

Well then it's inconsitent, because a pipe now has a status but an underdround belt doesn't. I dont see the point of the status showing on most entities. "Working" somewhat implies movement or activity and a wooden box is really just sitting there. It doesn't even have electronic parts. I don't think it's just me who is confused by this. I think there should only be a status showing for entities that can actually have different statutes or else the information has no value whatsoever and is clutter. Just for the sake of "everything now has a status" (or to fill the dedicated spot the LED has in the new Entity-UIs) makes no sense to me.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Usul wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:32 pm
I don't think it's just me who is confused by this
It might be.

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

I was a little confused when I first encountered this one:
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm
  • Inserters (targeting chests, rails or rolling stock) with no items in hand and items in source chest but no space in destination chest have status "Waiting for source items" instead of "Waiting for space in destination"
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

Return to “Gameplay Help”