Self-Made Belt Balancers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Self-Made Belt Balancers

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

<X> wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 pm
The balancers are important that, in case we don't have perfect prodction, still every belt gets some material and all production lines have at least something to work on. And not that there is enough iron for the circuits, but nothing left for the science packs.
If circuits are consuming all your plates, you either need more plates, or need to wait for circuits to back up.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Self-Made Belt Balancers

Post by Impatient »

<X> wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:01 pm
... I think you really need a test world for those things
Oh, did I mention that once, when I worked a lot on balancers, I created and published a test area for ...
<X> wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:01 pm
Are there some kind of "rules" that you need to remember? Like "no 'decreasing' splitter with loop input without any extra"?
When I did my studies on throughput unlimitedness, I found no rule of thumb. The only way would be to make create a balancer and then calculate the rates after each splitter. And this for all combinations of disabled input & output belts to make sure the rate never is anywhere >1 [belt]. I think I remember there is a program available on the web. You feed it the blueprint and it does some benchmarking on the balancer.

Found it:
https://pypi.org/project/factorio-balancers/

If you are into it you can also read the stuff that is available on stackexchange. Like this:
https://math.stackexchange.com/question ... ng-problem

I simply built a test area which gives me 8 fully loaded input belts and consumes 8 fully loaded output belts and has circuitry inlcuded that measures and displays the running average on each input and each output belt. Each input and output belt can be disabled by simply rotating the loader. Did I already mention that? I even published it. ;)

Return to “Gameplay Help”