Monsters making the game unplayable for me

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
EricBuist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Monsters making the game unplayable for me

Post by EricBuist »

Hi,
I am trying the tutorial maps and the monsters just make me mad. I just cannot figure out how all this thing works if monsters constantly interrupt me. If I have to constantly switch gears and do something else and something else, I just get mixed up and do repeat silly mistakes that just slows me down to a stop. Monsters should not be in such a game, period. This is really frustrating, because pretty much every game I try introduce monsters after 2 or 3 levels, steps or iterations, and I just cannot deal with them.
There WAS a way to disable them in the past, using a console command, but now the commands do nothing or generate errors. The last command I tried which didn't give error still cause the monsters to spawn; this is /c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode=true.
I don't want to return and get a refurnd for yet another Steam game. This is a real shame. I would like a better solution than giving up.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Monsters making the game unplayable for me

Post by mmmPI »

EricBuist wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 pm
I just cannot figure out how all this thing works if monsters constantly interrupt me.
Same here, i figured out how things worked in peaceful-freeplay.

/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode=true

This command should make them peaceful, meaning they only retaliate, if you have no turret and don't attack they shouldn't be aggressive but maybe it doesn't apply on the tutorial map. The reason could be that in the tutorial their behavior is aggressive to teach player how to defend, the hard way, until you found a solution.

It could also be that this command apply only to monsters generated AFTER the command is used, and in tutorial maybe there are all generated beforehand.

In the free-play mode, there are options that you can check before you generate the map, to either remove them entirely, or have them peaceful from start.

Maybe the experience will be more to your liking as it gives you as much time as you need/want to test things at your own pace. I think you could try jumping directly into free-play mode, you will not have intermediate objectives to guide you, but the technologies requiring increasingly complex science can help in guiding a player towards the end goal.

You also have thematic tutorials embedded in the freeplay game, you can access them thanks to an icon located on the top right corner, they can also guide a player towards a certain progression since some of them are basics, and some describe mechanism that aren't available before some research is done.

other commands that can be of some use but i have no idea how they function in the tutorial maps :

https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Enable_god_mode
https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Kill_all_enemies

/cheat all

gives you all research and allow you to instantly create any item without ingredients, if you want a good armor and good weapon to take revenge !
this one makes it difficult to un-research technologies.

/editor

this one you can use in many way, like surrounding an area with water to be safe, just deleting ennemy on the map, adding massive defenses , freezing time,and so on just type it back to cancel it.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

You don’t need cheats to turn off enemies.

Start a new game, go to the Enemy tab.

Turn on peaceful mode.
Turn off enemy bases, enemy expansion, and evolution.

The enemies will exist but they will not bother you and if you do kill them they will be easy and weak.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:02 pm
You don’t need cheats to turn off enemies.

Start a new game, go to the Enemy tab.

Turn on peaceful mode.
Turn off enemy bases, enemy expansion, and evolution.

The enemies will exist but they will not bother you and if you do kill them they will be easy and weak.
If you turn off enemy bases, there will be no biters at all
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Maybe there could be an peaceful biter tutorial Mode? I remember that i was very overwhelmed when i Played tutorial in 0.14. But i dont know how IT changed since that

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Biters are meant to be just another resource sink. You are meant to sink a few resources into defense, whether it be from building walls and turrets and feeding them ammo and later adding laser turrets and flamethrowers, or if its by getting supplies and going out to kill the nests, or (more likely) a combination of both.

Depending on your game’s settings, they may be a huge resource sink or not even exist at all.

The tutorial has a few challenging moments, but the only one that should be a real challenge is the one where you don’t really have much of a base. The rest, its not too difficult to scrounge up buildings or resources to make good defenses. Remember, you can remove buildings to place them elsewhere.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

EricBuist wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 pm
... Monsters should not be in such a game, period. ...
This is such an odd thing to write. The game is what it is. Luckily the biters can be turned off completely (in Freeplay).

There are players, who install mods, which make the threat by the biters even bigger and defending more challenging. It is all a matter of personal preferences.

Viewed from a different point, what you write is a huge praise to the games mechanics. A game without biters attacking, offers enough challenges for a complete game. I fully back that (although I like the additional challenge of being under attack). If you are unnerved by the fact, that in the majority of the games today something has to be attacked or defended against, I feel you. IMO in a lot of cases game designers just don't have any better ideas.
Last edited by Impatient on Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EricBuist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EricBuist »

Thanks for the advice. Starting a new game in freeplay is certainly the right way to go, and that will allow me to build a full base and invest in a factory creating resources.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

There is a command that you can use to kill all enemies in an arbitrarily high radius, and essentially wipe them out of the entire map.

Also, biters exist to create a challenge for players who are otherwise unhinged with their factory building. They're an X-factor that the player has to account for and invest resources in combating. It creates pressure in a game which is otherwise mostly a sandbox. Many people enjoy this (including me).

Alternatively, you can use efficiency modules, as those will reduce your pollution to negligible levels and prevent pollution from spreading beyond the first 5-10 chunks outside of your base. This is a reliable way to stop attacks from happening, if you disable enemy expansion. Rail world settings disable enemy expansion by default but do not invalidate achievements.
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I think players with things like PVP or first-person shooter experience come in with the skills and the mindset to handle biter attacks. I never enjoyed those kinds of games, and I found the attacks in the tutorial overwhelming. So glad that there are so many ways to play without biter attacks! One more option for managing biters is to turn off pollution. Without pollution, attacks and evolution are not triggered. They will still expand I think from looking at the wiki. They will attack if you get too close, unlike peaceful mode where you can walk right through a biter base.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

Amarula wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm
I think players with things like PVP or first-person shooter experience come in with the skills and the mindset to handle biter attacks. I never enjoyed those kinds of games, and I found the attacks in the tutorial overwhelming. So glad that there are so many ways to play without biter attacks! One more option for managing biters is to turn off pollution. Without pollution, attacks and evolution are not triggered. They will still expand I think from looking at the wiki. They will attack if you get too close, unlike peaceful mode where you can walk right through a biter base.
Different strokes for different folks. :)

I think it may be worth revisiting the whole "peace with the aliens" developer proposal. Like, a tech tree which runs parallel to military, but perhaps more expensive and locked behind efficiency module research.
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

Return to “Gameplay Help”