Train Stop Help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
NonLinear
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Stop Help

Post by NonLinear »

I come in a time of great need
My trains signals are giving me much trouble
Attached is an image of the merger intersection I am trying to automate without a circuit network
The layout I had worked at one time until another train would enter the merger and clog the system
Could I have some advice how to fix this?
Attachments
MergerProblems.png
MergerProblems.png (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1348 times

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train Stop Help

Post by MassiveDynamic »

The rail signals on both sides of the track designate that as a bi-directional track. Trains will want to travel in both directions on the same section of track creating your bottleneck.
It is tricky to create a working bi-directional track but it can be done, however, efficiency and throughput will be sacrificed.
Use chain signals to stop trains from entering any section of bi-directional traffic, and use rail signals only on “spur” tracks and dead ends with stations. All trains will have to wait on the spurs and dead ends for the bi-directional tracks to clear, but it should not cause jams or crashes if done correctly.

Remember, signals affect trains that are traveling with the signals on the right side of their forward motion.

Hold a signal in your hand to see the “blocks” it will create. No two trains may enter the same block.
Last edited by MassiveDynamic on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

See my replies in this similar topic. It's also a good idea to go through the basic and advanced rail signal mini-tutorials if you haven't already.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Here is a short tutorial on how to signal single track bi-directional trains.

https://youtu.be/ASES70Zlivw

Return to “Gameplay Help”