'Smart' inserters / Chests don't work on different pwr poles

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

'Smart' inserters / Chests don't work on different pwr poles

Post by dinodod »

I have not yet been able to come across anyone else posting something similar to this so my apologies for posting this if it has been discussed already.

I've noticed that when I am using the 'Smart' objects (Inserters / Chests), they need to be connected to the same power pole (and same color, of course) in order for them to see each other. When I place a inserter on a separate pole from the chest, they don't talk to each other, even if there is a common 3rd pole between them connecting them together.

I have yet to see anything on the web either so I'm perplexed as to how these work if they must be on the same pole. I had started to build out a 2nd base using these 'smart' devices but the chests were on the other side of the base, away from my inserters. I had logic on the inserter set to <If green science pack < 10) and in my smart chest, I had 20 green science packs already. Both were connected to the green wire circuit and both were tied together by a string of power poles. The inserter simply kept pumping out more green science packs for me. Yes, I had the filter set to look for green science packs.

Thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 'Smart' inserters / Chests don't work on different pwr poles

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

Ok, so I have to manually wire up everything from pole to pole. I was thinking since the poles already are connected via their copper wires, then they were also connected for the electronic circuits. But in fact, I'm simply adding another layer to the poles, just for 'data'

In other words, I was thinking the poles were acting like EoP (Ethernet Over Power) devices where they used the electric network itself to transmit data on it.

Thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The poles have all three insulators on top. One for the copper cable to transport power and two for red and green wires. You can see that, if you look at the poles. The wiki explains that also a bit, especially, that circuit network is bounded to the wires, but indeed, I've made me some notes to explain the role of the poles, wires and cables better. :)

Snowpig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Snowpig »

It would be nice if the red/green line would be a bit thicker or highlightable. Usually one has to watch very closely to see where the connections are.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, I think that would be useful while consstructing.

I made a suggestion, which should also solve the problems in handling the wires: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=9092

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

Thank you. If perhaps instead of using wires overhead for the red / green wires, maybe use an underground version instead, like they do in Prison Architect and several other games?

Return to “Gameplay Help”