Rocket Fuel Ratio v1.0

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bfrsmedic2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rocket Fuel Ratio v1.0

Post by bfrsmedic2 »

I need some help. I am at a loss on my first megabase since the fluid change needing light oil. I cannot seem to find the ratio of rocket fuel. I tried to use the factorio planner, doomer, and other site I found. All of them come up with different ratios. My goal to start with is 2k science pack a minute. (Kind of small compared to some of you guys I have seen already. ;-) )

I will be using modules also, the number of beacons is up for discussion depending on the build I use. I am still new to the megabase deal too so go easy on me. I also tried to search for help on the forums and was not able to find it. So if it is up and I missed it I am sorry so go easy on me. :D

Medic

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rocket Fuel Ratio v1.0

Post by Serenity »

The Kirk McDonald calculator gives correct numbers for me.

I have a setup that uses 10 beacons for rocket fuel and 12 for solid fuel. Which results in almost a 2:1 ratio:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... Twms/oDQ==

The solid fuel is a little bit short, so every now and then the rocket fuel stutters a little. You can also pick something different so that the SF overproduces

bfrsmedic2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bfrsmedic2 »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:37 pm
The Kirk McDonald calculator gives correct numbers for me.

I have a setup that uses 10 beacons for rocket fuel and 12 for solid fuel. Which results in almost a 2:1 ratio:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... Twms/oDQ==

The solid fuel is a little bit short, so every now and then the rocket fuel stutters a little. You can also pick something different so that the SF overproduces
Thank you very much and I will check that out. I do have one question, on the category of beacons does that mean the effect sources or the physical number of beacons around the refinery, chemical plant, or assembly machine?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

In that calculator it means the number of modules in the beacons. So it's twice the number of beacons. Always confusing

bfrsmedic2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bfrsmedic2 »

Okay thank you. I was sitting there looking and thinking to myself how in the hell did he get 24 beacons around that chemical plant. LMAO! I was trying it out and I was like no way.

bfrsmedic2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bfrsmedic2 »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm
In that calculator it means the number of modules in the beacons. So it's twice the number of beacons. Always confusing
So I got to looking at the calculator you posted earlier and this is what I figured out I need around 2k rocket fuel for 2k space science a minute. My question is does it look alright? Also do I just feed the light oil into the rocket fuel assemblers or bring light oil in from another source?

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... 4jDCRf6AM=

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

The easiest is to accept the inefficiency and ratio it so that you you crack the heavy oil, use all the light oil and then make solid fuel from both light oil and petroleum gas. That way nothing ever backs up. You get less SF from gas than from oil, but it doesn't really matter that much

But you can also try to combine all oil products into a single setup

bfrsmedic2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bfrsmedic2 »

Serenity wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:04 am
The easiest is to accept the inefficiency and ratio it so that you you crack the heavy oil, use all the light oil and then make solid fuel from both light oil and petroleum gas. That way nothing ever backs up. You get less SF from gas than from oil, but it doesn't really matter that much

But you can also try to combine all oil products into a single setup
I guess maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that. When making rocket fuel (not solid fuel), where is the best place to get light oil from?
Do I need to bring it in from another build completely or stop making solid fuel with light oil in the build and send it to rocket fuel instead?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You misunderstood my answer. Or you haven't understood the process entirely.

Rocket fuel needs solid fuel and light oil. So you can take some refineries and crack the heavy oil. That leaves you with light oil and petroleum. You use both to make solid fuel. And then you also add in the light oil. This can be ratioed so you produce just the right amount of everything that all is consumed. That way you have a self-contained rocket fuel factory.

The alternative is to have one petrochemical installation that produces lubricant, plastic, solid fuel (from light oil) and rocket fuel. That can run into issues with backups, for example if you have an excess of petroleum. In which case you may be back to burning it off as solid fuel again.

There are multiple ways to do this. What you want depends on personal preference

Return to “Gameplay Help”