[1.0.0] Pump not working. Removing/Placing new fixed it.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Melerion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Pump not working. Removing/Placing new fixed it.

Post by Melerion »

Hello,

a community member on the KoS discord asked for help with a problem as described in the subject.
After making sure all the bases were covered (connections, power, signals etc) I asked for a blueprint of the area the problem is at to see it for myself.

Took the blueprint as is into a new creative map, attached sources for power, water and crude oil.
In this blueprint there are 2 combinators next to each other, each set to output a blue signal of 1 to open up a pump allowing heavy oil to get sent to cracking.
This pump is the culprit. It doesn't do anything. Whether or not wires are connected and transporting the correct signals to open or no wires connected at all.

Removing the pump and putting another down in the same location/orientation makes it work instantly. Again whether or not not wires/signals are connected.

I have tried this multiple times with that same blueprint I will attach to this post. Reproducible each time.

Regards

Melerion
Attachments
unworkingpump1.txt
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.0.0] Pump not working. Removing/Placing new fixed it.

Post by Loewchen »

Both pumps have circuit conditions based on liquids that can obviously not be met when placing them as blueprint, so the bug could not be produced this way anyway or there is none in the first place. If you still think there is something wrong, post a save please and describe exactly which entity shows what incorrect behavior and what behavior should it show instead and why.

Melerion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Melerion »

Obviously?

I understand that having a save file is more convenient to look at, but this is not a problem that occurred in one of my maps but in a map somebody else plays and had a problem with. I just made the effort to help said person by requesting a blueprint of the problematic area (which I previously attached) and took the steps - as described - to reproduce it. And lo and behold, I was able to. Imagine that.

So please do me the courtesy of either making a real effort in doing the same or choose your words more carefully as to not insult people.

As to the problem at hand: This time you'll get a ready made save file where the issue persists.

A few seconds after you load the map the lubricant tank will be filled enough for the associated combinator to activate its signal.
For convenience's sake, disconnect the underground pipe to the chem plants producing lubricant so the heavy oil has nowhere to go. That will fill up the heavy oil tank a lot faster. About 20 seconds later, the associated combinator will reach its threshold of 1k and send the signal.

Expected is now that the pump attached to the heavy oil tank activates and sends heavy oil to cracking.

Nothing happens.

"Mining" this pump and replacing it makes it work instantly. With or without reattaching the wires and setting the same condition again.

Question is - why did it not work before that "fix".

Curious side note: reapplying the blueprint over the existing - and by now working - installation disables the pump again.
Attachments
bug2.zip
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The pump has an impossible enable condition set in the logistic connection. By mining and replacing the pump you remove that condition.

I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

wally1169
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wally1169 »

I tried this BP myself. I experience the same thing as the OP - once everything was placed (last placed items were the combinators), the condition showed up on the pump correctly (until then, the condition looked like Bilka's screenshot). But the pump was disabled even though it was receiving 2 blue squares (I moused over the "circuit connection" ID in the tooltip to see the received signals).

I did the same as the OP and picked up the pump, replaced it, rewired it, and set the condition manually - it started working. Then, I pasted down the BP again and the pump immediately disabled. However, the condition was still showing correctly (Blue Square > 1).

I copy/pasted (ctrl+c, ctrl+v) the pump elsewhere so I could use shift-right-click / shift-left-click to copy paste settings. Picked up original pump, replaced, and rewired - then copy pasted settings from the other pump: pump is disabled even though the circuit connection ID tooltip still shows 2 blue squares received.

This is definitely a bug of some kind. Either the condition on the pump isn't getting captured in the blueprinting process correctly or isn't getting communicated back to the game field when being pasted.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

My screenshot shows the logistic connection, not the circuit connection.
They are two different things and they both need to be true for the pump to be enabled. However, the logistic connection can never be true, so the pump never turns on. Untick the "Connect" checkbox to disable the logistic connection.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:37 pm
My screenshot shows the logistic connection, not the circuit connection.
It really wouldn't hurt to enforce always showing the logistic connection window when it is connected, instead of having the circuit window override it and having no visual indication whatsoever that it is active.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

wally1169
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wally1169 »

Oh, logistic. Is there any indication on the entities that the logistic connection is activated separate from the circuit connection? As far as I'm aware, they both use that same "connection/indicator point". Perhaps that would be an useful improvement.

Melerion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Melerion »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:51 am
The pump has an impossible enable condition set in the logistic connection. By mining and replacing the pump you remove that condition.

I do appreciate your clear and concise answer.

I missed that. I apologize for making a fuss.

Strike that. This can serve as a reminder to improve the interface. It really isn't that obvious. And while I do have flashbacks now of encountering the same situation before - years ago - and correctly diagnosing the problem, it isn't that easy to spot.

And finally, please have a word internally with Loewchen.
I have been a member of the Factorio community for a very long time now. Done a lot of support, helped a lot of people. Been actively involved in a couple things you guys wrote about in the FFF. And I do not appreciate being told to be an idiot. I can come to that conclusion - and did so - myself.

Case closed.

Return to “Gameplay Help”