Building Train Setup Help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Building Train Setup Help

Post by Gamatron332 »

Hi... hi so I’ve been looking at building trains because I am trying to get into a outpost based base. My question is how do I set up the combinators on the building train to request only items used to build the outpost? I am going to make the building train have like a “base” set of items it carries and only drop off the requested items at the outpost. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Building Train Setup Help

Post by Serenity »

You only need combinators for a count perfect setup that only requests what is needed. But that's not necessary. It's far easier to reserve slots in the wagons for what you want (use a fish for an empty slot) and then simply put requester chests next to the wagons requesting items. Yes, you'll have a lot of material sitting in chests doing nothing, but it really doesn't matter.

A universal setup that lets you change requests remotely may sound appealing from an engineering point of view. But in practice you need the same things over and over.

Otherwise, this should work:
viewtopic.php?p=453377#p453377

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Agreed. But remember to use one requester chest for each item. Using long handed inserters you can have 24 different items/chests per cargo wagon.

Otherwise your inserters will end up holding items and not able to drop them off.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Usually, I’ll have a building train that supplies me with stuff to build outposts with. Use filters and the red X slot lock to limit each Cargo Wagon to 12 items, and how many stacks of each item you want in the Cargo Wagon.

If you want a building train to deliver stuff for automatic construction, you’ll want to set up a few things. First, the train : with the aforementioned limits per Cargo Wagon.

Second, the destination station. You will want one Stack Filter Inserter per item per Cargo Wagon (if one Cargo Wagon has a lot of each, but only 3 items, it only gets 3 Stack Filter Inserters). Set the filter so it only attempts to move its item. Set the destination chest (Passive Provider) to one stack (prevents getting too much unnecessary stuff from being dropped off). Wire up each Passive Provider to a Constant Combinator, and to the Train Station. Set the Constant Combinator (use a second Constant Combinator if you need to) to the NEGATIVE amount of each item signal. Then set the station to Enable when Anything < 0.

What I mean by this is, say you want to set up a smelting outpost, and you want a bunch of Passive Providers, Requestor Chests, Stack Inserters, and Electric Furnaces. You set up the train to bring 2 stacks of each, as well as a whole lot of other stuff. The Passive Provider chests would be locked to 1 stack. The Constant Combinator would be set to Passive Provider -50, Requestor Chest -50, Stack Inserter -50, Electric Furnace -50. The Stack Filter Inserters keep the other stuff on the train.

If you set the items to -10 instead of -50 then when you get less than 10 of any item in the chests, the station will activate and the train will come. If it is set for -50 then as soon as one item is taken out of the chests, the station will turn on and the train will come.

I’d recommend making a “garbage train” that comes along to pick up junk, as well. Unless you are pre-clearing the area you will have a lot of wood and stone and coal debris from constructing the BP. Set this up by having its own train, a few Storage Chests (for the bots to dump garbage into, which could include anything you use a Deconstruction Planner on) wired to the Train Station, set to come on when Anything > 0.

I’ve never had any real luck with trying to set the filters on the Stack Filter Inserters (or regular Filter Inserters) by the circuit network, so I’ve adopted the setup I described above.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

Thanks for all the replies! I’m definitely up to code on building trains now. One last question. How do they get the even loafers to work? I see a belt that can easily be handled by 2-3 stack inserters being used by all the stack inserters over time. How do they do that? A clock?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Gamatron332 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:20 pm
How do they get the even loafers to work?
Loafers don’t work. That’s why they’re loafers. They loaf around.

Loaders work by basically being a couple of inserters in the same space, without animation and what would be, if they were animated, a very fast turning speed. I’m not really a huge fan of loaders however; I tend to output one belt (be it plates, ores, circuits, etc) per Cargo Wagon. I’ll have 6 (stack) inserters offloading the cargo wagon onto belts facing thusly :

>>>^<<

The left three inserters put onto one side of the output belt, the right two inserters put onto the other side of the output belt, and the one puts onto the right hand side of the upward moving belt, giving me three inserters putting material down per side of the belt. Since its all coming from the same cargo wagon, I”m not concerned about synchronizing inserter motion.

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

astroshak wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 pm
Gamatron332 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:20 pm
How do they get the even loafers to work?
Loafers don’t work. That’s why they’re loafers. They loaf around.

Loaders work by basically being a couple of inserters in the same space, without animation and what would be, if they were animated, a very fast turning speed. I’m not really a huge fan of loaders however; I tend to output one belt (be it plates, ores, circuits, etc) per Cargo Wagon. I’ll have 6 (stack) inserters offloading the cargo wagon onto belts facing thusly :

>>>^<<

The left three inserters put onto one side of the output belt, the right two inserters put onto the other side of the output belt, and the one puts onto the right hand side of the upward moving belt, giving me three inserters putting material down per side of the belt. Since its all coming from the same cargo wagon, I”m not concerned about synchronizing inserter motion.
Very nice.. I was talking about loading into at train but thanks for the behind the scenes stuff on offloaders.

Also my loafers work. I automated them to loaf without me so that I can work on other stuff like upgrading my green circuits for the billionth time

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Hahaha. I think you mean “even loading.”

Where all chests are loaded or unloaded evenly.

If so, it’s not too hard. Take a red wire connected to all chests in a “loading bay” (one cargo wagon space) into an arithmetic combinator set to */n where n is number of chests. Then use a green wire from each chest to a decider combinator ....
blah blah never mind I’ll post a blueprint in a minute...

EDIT...

Here you go...

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm
Hahaha. I think you mean “even loading.”

Where all chests are loaded or unloaded evenly.

If so, it’s not too hard. Take a red wire connected to all chests in a “loading bay” (one cargo wagon space) into an arithmetic combinator set to */n where n is number of chests. Then use a green wire from each chest to a decider combinator ....
blah blah never mind I’ll post a blueprint in a minute...

EDIT...

Here you go...
Thank you! I’ll discover the meaning of this using science!!!

Return to “Gameplay Help”