Train rolling resistance

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
stretch611
Inserter
Inserter

Train rolling resistance

Post by stretch611 »

While on the wiki earlier, I noticed the idea of rolling resistance affecting vehicle speeds.
Concrete increases walking speed by 40% and decreases vehicle rolling resistance, allowing for extra acceleration and top speed, although each vehicle is affected differently;
(from Concrete on the wiki.)

On the wiki page for Locomotive it mentions that the train max speed does include train friction force as part of the calculation but it does not have any reference (other than having the word friction) to the concept of rolling resistance.

The question I have is does concrete and refined concrete have a measurable impact on train acceleration and/or max speed? How much of a difference is there between Concrete and refined concrete is there? (if any)

Of course this will turn into, should I place concrete (or refined concrete) tiles under my train tracks? Do I only need to put it under the stations or in places that I expect the most acceleration to happen?

Though now that I think of it, should also wonder if braking force/deceleration is affected as well. While technically I would expect the real force to be friction between the steel train wheels and the steel rails, having a consistent and sturdy surface in the form of a concrete base can help.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train rolling resistance

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Although I have never tested it per se, I believe that cars and tanks are affected by concrete (and belts) because I have seen these effects. Trains do not seem to be affected by tiles, at least as far as I have observed.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

The maximum speed calculation for the locomotile, see wiki: https://wiki.factorio.com/Locomotive#Maximum_speed, does involve train_friciton_force.
From what I understand this in a value based on internal stats of the rolling stock (locomotives, cargo wagons, fluid wagons) and is not affected by any tiles you may place. However, this value is inherent to the rolling stock, so when comparing different modded trains to each other, their maximum speed might be affected by these values without the average player having a good way of figuring out why. Also each rolling stock has a weight, which is not printed in the tooltips.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Sorry to necropost, but for 1-4 and single locomotives concrete does not matter with regards to max speed. It sits at 298.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Gameplay Help”