Burning mining drill is not drilling

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
sheerun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Burning mining drill is not drilling

Post by sheerun »

I'm playing "tight space" scenario. Unfortunately burning mining drill is not mining even though it has enough coal and target has enough space.... Here's save
Attachments
debug.zip
(750.2 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Burning mining drill is not drilling

Post by valneq »

The mining drills drop their products immediately on the tile in front of the output, they don't have an internal container for output items. If you want the burner miners to fill stone furnaces with iron, you need to place them directly adjacent, like the one furthest south in your save. For the other miners, you placed inserters in between the miners and the furnaces – on the tiles that the miners want to drop their output. With your current setup, the inserters will try to take out the fuel from the burner miners and put it into the furnaces (which have enough fuel), which is why they essentially don't do anything.

Please see here for sample setups that will work:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Mining#Output

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

There are several burner drills, some of which are working. All the ones on the left side aren't working because the burner inserters are blocking the output tile. I don't see a bug. Compare the spacing of the top drill to the left drills.

sheerun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sheerun »

I know what's wrong guys, thank you, I'm surprised it took so short! I kinda don't agree it's not a bug. I think burner inserters should've taken coal from burner mining wheel even though they are not in front of drop point of them.. That's what long inserters do, don't they?

sheerun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sheerun »

Ok I also kind of agree if burner inserters don't have any "buffer" inside of then. It's very weird

sheerun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sheerun »

By the way, don't you think this forum should have "upvote" functionality like reddit? It's not fair you helped me but you don't have any reward

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

sheerun wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 pm
[...]I think burner inserters should've taken coal from burner mining wheel even though they are not in front of drop point of them.. That's what long inserters do, don't they?
They didn't move any coal because the furnaces on the other side already had enough coal in them (due to the scenario settings). If the furnaces somehow didn't have coal while the burner drills did, the inserters would've moved some.

Return to “Gameplay Help”