What's Wrong With My Water Flow?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
HanSolo0001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

What's Wrong With My Water Flow?

Post by HanSolo0001 »

I need some help with my water flow in my base. If I take away the pumps, and only have one offshore pump (than the multiple ones I currently have), then the flow drops to like 10 and below. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've attached pics for reference. Also, would this water flow affect my power level? This base seems to lose power on and off, and thought maybe the water level was a factor in it.
Attachments
Water Flow 8.png
Water Flow 8.png (3.36 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 7.png
Water Flow 7.png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 6.png
Water Flow 6.png (3.07 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 5.png
Water Flow 5.png (3.07 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 4.png
Water Flow 4.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 3.png
Water Flow 3.png (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 2.png
Water Flow 2.png (2.93 MiB) Viewed 2044 times
Water Flow 1.png
Water Flow 1.png (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2044 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What's Wrong With My Water Flow?

Post by Serenity »

One offshore pump to 20 boilers. You don't need multiple ones and you don't need regular pumps at such short distance. One pump produces 1200 water per second. One boiler consumes 60 per second.
If you have more than 20 then put another row on the other side of the belt. Then give it a completely separate pipe and pump. And upgrade the belt to red as a yellow belt of coal can only supply 34

Also, steam turbines are meant for nuclear power plants and heat exchangers. They do work with boilers, but only at reduced capacity. With boilers they are only as good as the regular two steam engines. You only save some space

Stack inserters aren't necessary either. They don't need that much coal. In other pics you're using them in places where they aren't needed either. It's not exactly a mistake, but it's a waste of power. Burner or regular yellow inserters work just fine for boilers. Maybe a fast inserter if you use blue belt
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HanSolo0001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HanSolo0001 »

Ok thanks. I'll try that out and I'll let you know how it goes.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Regular Inserters if you are upgrading to a Red (or Blue) Belt. Burner Inserters are too slow for Reds or Blues.

Upgrade the Coal to Solid Fuel when you can, though, you’ll be able to feed 100 Boilers that way, rather than just 34 that Coal feeds.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

I think your mistake is, each pipeline can only handle so much water. I limit it to 18 boilers on a single water pipeline, with one offshore pump, no small pumps needed. Also like Serenity said, turbines are meant for much hotter steam, two steam engines instead can use the full power output of a boiler for much cheaper.

Return to “Gameplay Help”