Tackling the yellow science production

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Tackling the yellow science production

Post by factoriobiker »

So I guess yellow bottle is the last bottle I need to produce right?

Am I almost at the end of the game?

In science research I researched eveything but the items that need yellow science.

But I dont know how to manage this.....it is too much.

Should I use bots to bring me some of the ingredients? I watched youtube videos and some guy used bots to bring plastic etc......
I dont want to use any blueprint so this is going to be a headache

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tackling the yellow science production

Post by Koub »

I find Yellow science not to be the most complicated to automate. Once I've automated purple science, yellow science seems simple.
I recommend not to bring plastic by bots : bots are not ideal to provide a continuous stream of items used in high volume. I'm not saying it won't work, just that it's very inefficient.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

factoriobiker wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:48 am
It is the last you need to produce in quantity to send a rocket /research the silo.

Sending rockets with a satellite to space reward you white science pack which one could argue is the final science.

Both those productions (and making satellite) will require a lot of intermediate materials and therefore most likely an increase in raw material and energy/electricity production.

Yellow science allow you to fully research the logistic system that enable new logistic chest which in turns opens new possibilties for logistic robots.

You don't HAVE TO use the new possibilities of the logistic system, but if you take the time to try and understand how to use it, it is rewarding because it is very handy.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

factoriobiker wrote:

Am I almost at the end of the game?
After utility science you'll also need to build the rocket.

You can also put a satellite in the rocket, which will give you space science packs. You can keep going with them, faster and faster; the end is when your computer collapses under the strain...
factoriobiker wrote:
In science research I researched eveything but the items that need yellow science.

But I dont know how to manage this.....it is too much.
If you've managed production science packs, the main problem you should have with utility science packs is the resource requirements: you need lots of copper for low density structures and lots of electronic circuits (which themselves also need lots of copper) for the processing units.

Try to break the problem down into smaller ones. Starting at the end and working backwards:
  • For utility science packs, you need low density structures, processing units and flying robot frames.
  • For low density structures, you need copper plate (lots!), plastic (quite a bit) and steel.
  • For processing units, you need electronic circuits (lots!), advanced circuits, and a supply of sulphuric acid.
  • For flying robot frames, you need ...
And so on. You could keep going with this all the way back to ores/oil, but you should stop before ones you've already solved, such as electronic circuits.

Once you've done this, you'll have a set of new problems that you can tackle in isolation, as well as a bigger picture of how they connect. Note some of the problems are similar: utility science packs and low density structures both need three inputs and produce one output. With belts, you can use the same layout for both; you just need to feed the appropriate ingredients in.

Give yourself plenty of space to solve each of the new problems, and join them up. I realise this is easier said than done (you should expect to get it wrong at first) but the point is the approach. As you get it working, you'll start to see what you can do to improve it.

You may find tools useful to visualise things and help you plan. For example, Helmod and (my personal favourite) Kirk McDonald's calculator.
factoriobiker wrote:
Should I use bots to bring me some of the ingredients? I watched youtube videos and some guy used bots to bring plastic etc......
I dont want to use any blueprint so this is going to be a headache
You need utility science packs to research "Logistic system" which unlocks the logistic chests that you need to move things around your factory by bots, so you can't do this initially, unless you do a ridiculous amount of hand feeding to get the research. Even then, you'd need a lot of bots for moving relatively basic ingredients like copper plate, electronic circuits and plastic.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:50 am
factoriobiker wrote:
It is the last you need to produce in quantity to send a rocket /research the silo.

Sending rockets with a satellite to space reward you white science pack which one could argue is the final science.

Both those productions (and making satellite) will require a lot of intermediate materials and therefore most likely an increase in raw material and energy/electricity production.

Yellow science allow you to fully research the logistic system that enable new logistic chest which in turns opens new possibilties for logistic robots.

You don't HAVE TO use the new possibilities of the logistic system, but if you take the time to try and understand how to use it, it is rewarding because it is very handy.
Theres also an achivement for launching a rocket without having researched adv logistics chests. I know because I unintentionally got that during my last game. XD

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

starlinvf wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Theres also an achivement for launching a rocket without having researched adv logistics chests. I know because I unintentionally got that during my last game. XD
Pretty sure for the achievement, you can research and craft these, just not place them in the world.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

It's a bit challenging, but try giving yourself extra building space to work with. I've found that's usually the biggest problem, and when I do decide to put a lot of extra space between different parts of the factory, I always end up being really happy with the decision later on.

If that doesn't give any ideas, maybe you could just see if there's any areas of your factory that could be rebuilt to give more space or just more production capacity. Maybe some parts could even be rebuilt somewhere completely different. It's easier if you do it this way rather than trying to rebuild the whole factory at once. One step at a time and you can make it!

You usually end up needing more lanes of belts than you think, which is why it's important to spread out your factory a bit if you can at all.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:29 am
It's a bit challenging, but try giving yourself extra building space to work with. I've found that's usually the biggest problem, and when I do decide to put a lot of extra space between different parts of the factory, I always end up being really happy with the decision later on.

If that doesn't give any ideas, maybe you could just see if there's any areas of your factory that could be rebuilt to give more space or just more production capacity. Maybe some parts could even be rebuilt somewhere completely different. It's easier if you do it this way rather than trying to rebuild the whole factory at once. One step at a time and you can make it!

You usually end up needing more lanes of belts than you think, which is why it's important to spread out your factory a bit if you can at all.

Around that point one would probably have to consider retooling Green and Red circuits to meet the demands for processors and modules. For some reason, Red is ungodly slow for the rates they get consumed at; but processors aren't that bad unless you're crafting Mod3s. Either way you need a massive amount of greens to make that jump. I nearly tripled production of that one product just to keep up with demand for yellow packs, which later feed into rocket parts.

Return to “Gameplay Help”