Fixed an Old Map

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Wolf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Fixed an Old Map

Post by Wolf »

I don't know if this has been posted, but I thought it might be interesting for some people out there who have older maps they like and do not want to give up on.

So, I kept fiddling around with Factorio and found a way to basically take older maps and convert them to 1.0, and though it's a pain, the effort is kinda worth it. I'll update this if I discover some issues/errors.

The main issue is that you have a change in the map generator when you go to the 1.0 code. The best way to fix this issue is to go through steam and revert Factorio to it's previous incarnation that loaded with your map (Mine was version 16.51, so I went and Right Click->Properties->Beta->Select Factorio Version and hit okay). After that, load your map/convert it in the map editor window. What you need to do next is scroll around the map in the older version's map editor to reveal/generate parts of your map you want to keep. Warning! DO NOT zoom out too far as it will slow down your system.

Now, once you have the revealed/generated the bits you want you'll save as and map name to convert it into a map editor map. After that, you'll want to close out Factorio, update to version 1.0, and open said map in the map editor. After that, you can look around to see if everything is where it should be in the map. You'll want to back out first, go back into the map, and then click save as and play. Once in the play menu, save the map as a backup file/whatever so you have it, exit out of the map editor, and now, FINALLY, you can go to single player, load map, and play it in version 1.0 with all the updated bits and pieces.

The main reason you do not want to scroll around in the 1.0 map editor is that it reveals the map areas whereas the older one, for me it was 16.51, it didn't
reveal these pieces. I've tested it on one map and things look promising thus far.

It's a lot of work, but I had an older map I really, REALLY liked and wanted to keep it. When I played the backup file in 1.0, it didn't work out too well and loaded up some random problems. Instead of remaking my fav map via the map editor, I tinkered with stuff until a work around happened.

This comes with a final work of caution. I do not know the ramifications of reverting, converting, etc..., to different versions of the game. This could permanently break the game for you, thus you'll want to convert all your maps in one shot, imho. Proceed with caution if you decide to do this and happy hunting my fellow Factorio builders. :ugeek:

Return to “Gameplay Help”