Is the Campaign finished/locked-in?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Is the Campaign finished/locked-in?

Post by Cougarific »

Is this how the Campaign will look on release? Because IMHO there's a huge learning-curve gap between the Tutorial campaign and the New Hope campaign. Was really hoping for a more gradual curve - going from "here's how to build a boiler" to "Build a fully-functional factory with multiple inputs and outputs while under periodic attack" seems like a pretty big leap.

The "repair this busted-up factory" approach is a good-ish idea but I'd rather not be shown a fully laid-out factory, I'd rather build up to it on my own.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is the Campaign finished/locked-in?

Post by GewaltSam »

I think it's very possible that the campaigns get some more work at some point, though something official would interest me, too :)
The first campaign seems to be designed at a much earlier point in development. Even some things in the UI function differently than in the second campaign or the main game. It works as simple tutorial so far though, I guess.

The trick I used was looking closely at the constructions the tutorial gives you to work with. That was how I learned to set up electricity. But I know what you mean; some more step-by-step wouldn't hurt for new players.

Xuhybrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuhybrid »

Yeah, every map of the New Hope campaign jumps significantly. You're expected to trial and error. Figure it out for yourself basically. The first map where u need to automate red and green science took me 2 hours on first playthrough. The second map about 8 hours with both copper/iron trains connected.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

They plan, that you can leave the campaign at every point and play some kind of "training-map", one for each aspect of the game. If that is ready with 0.12 is quite questionable.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

Yeah, training maps that's the idea! And as I said the "repair this existing - but damaged - layout" approach is a great way to do it. Give us the idea of what it's supposed to look like and let us fill in the gaps. Works great in the New Hope campaign, I could see it working even better with a more extensive Tutorial campaign.

Return to “Gameplay Help”