Trains I cant figure out signals and chai signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Trains I cant figure out signals and chai signals

Post by mergele »

@disentius Alright, at this point I think there is something I am missing about your approach.
With your signalling - as far as I can tell - you do need sufficient bypasses on any stretch of the track to hold all trains that could be there at the same time or it might deadlock, which should make expanding the system rather dangerous. What I am arguing is that you can set it up in a way so that trains that want to enter the bus section than fit into bypass bays they just sit and wait in the station loops instead of endangering the system as a whole.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

You did not miss anything, My first post contains a signalling error in the loop. :oops:
Edited my post and repaired the signalling.
I still recommend building bypasses. More than you need has no negative effect(aside from resource use). Too few, and your system deadlocks.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

Ah that makes sense now. Yeah bypasses are obviously very good, though having to few doesn't actually deadlock if signalled correctly (assuming sufficient waiting bays in stations), it just reduces throughput of the system (And if that is an issue you are better of going 2 track anyways.

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

I tried again...no path again, i put signals no path, I remove each signal trains run but collide.....

https://pasteboard.co/JomrA2b.png

This is the first game ever I cant figure it out....it shoudl be easier....

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:36 pm
I tried again...no path again, i put signals no path, I remove each signal trains run but collide.....

Please learn how to clip screenshots before posting them

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:36 pm

The path is incorrect somewhere not shown in that screenshot. If you post pictures of all the track between the train and its destination we can find the problem for you. Then it will make sense. (Factorio is half game, half programming language, so some things are a little bit complicated but still fun!)

Like boskid said, you need to hold Alt when you press PrtScr to screenshot just the program you are using instead of your whole desktop. We don't want to know what movie you were watching on your other monitor.

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

sorry for thatit was Korean zombie movie....

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 pm
sorry for thatit was Korean zombie movie....
:o :D

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

I have an idea that might help you find your faulty signal.
Get inside the train control window hit the Ctrl key and hover over the map.
Your train will try to plot a course to that location. If it draws a green line it can path towards that location.
If it no longer draws the line then it can't. Use that to find the area where the signaling is wrong.
If you can't find why it is wrong - drive there and make a screenshot and we will help you.
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (116.18 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

guys hovering over the track and pressing ctrl worked, there was one piece of track broken or something so I repaired it and now I use only rail signals for now....
with CTRL and hover is easy to find where the problem is....I think I understand now....
only need to figure out chain signal....cause I use only rail signals now

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

factoriobiker wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 am
guys hovering over the track and pressing ctrl worked, there was one piece of track broken or something so I repaired it and now I use only rail signals for now....
with CTRL and hover is easy to find where the problem is....I think I understand now....
only need to figure out chain signal....cause I use only rail signals now
Good job! I cleaned up my previous advice about chain signals, so see if this helps:
  • Rail Signals show the "beginning of a parking or waiting spot".
  • Chain Signals show the "beginning of a no parking zone".
  • Two-way tracks, crossings, and splits are always no-parking zones.
  • Train stations are always parking spots.
  • Sections of one-way track long enough for a train to fit are waiting spots.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mergele wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm
@disentius Alright, at this point I think there is something I am missing about your approach.
With your signalling - as far as I can tell - you do need sufficient bypasses on any stretch of the track to hold all trains that could be there at the same time or it might deadlock, which should make expanding the system rather dangerous. What I am arguing is that you can set it up in a way so that trains that want to enter the bus section than fit into bypass bays they just sit and wait in the station loops instead of endangering the system as a whole.
Every mine with it's loop is a natural "bypass". If the train network doesn't have any bypasses then worst case only a single train at a time can drive and all others will be stuck at the mine or smelter station. That is perfectly fine for a low number of trains but clearly doesn't scale endlessly.

The bypasses improve throughput but not that much. If you start needing them I think your time is better spend just doubling the track in the busiest sections completely.

Return to “Gameplay Help”