I need iron

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

I need iron

Post by factoriobiker »

I already used the original iron mine, so i went to more distand one, set up train, but still there is never enough iron, I need it mostly for research vials, green bottles....what to do? the train does not empty iron fast enough

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I need iron

Post by Kyralessa »

This is normal.

Things you can do:
  • Set up more mines
  • Run more trains
  • Make sure you're using stack inserters to empty out the iron ore train cars faster
If you look around on the forum or the wiki or other Factorio sites, you'll see examples of ore loading/unloading. It might be that you're using an inefficient setup to unload your iron ore.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Here's a thread where someone in a similar situation to yours asked the same question and got some great responses!

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

I want to make 2 trains for one track...but what if they collide? can that happen? SO one should be loading while the other unloading...??
because the problem is I loose time while one is loading and there is no iron for a while, how do you guys solve it?

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

Running 2 trains is an option, you'll want a 2 way track system for that though.
I usually tap 2 different iron mines instead of 1 with 2 trains usually. that is personal preference though.
And in case you don't know a wagon can be loaded/unloaded by multiple inserters.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

4 cargo wagons bringing in iron from one or two mines is really plenty to supply iron for a larger base. Even when you are repeatedly launching rockets. You can unload 4 wagons to 8 belts by using two belts per side per wagon
because the problem is I loose time while one is loading and there is no iron for a while, how do you guys solve it?
By loading and unloading into chests. You go belt <-> chest <-> cargo wagon with 4 or 6 inserters per side (4 stack inserters are enough. For fast ones you may want to use 6). That way there is also material around when the train is away

The campaign actually teaches you that by giving you some destroyed outposts to restore

And do you really need to open yet another thread? You will get help here, but you already have another thread going about your train and iron issues

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

ok, i will continue on this one
yes i use chests....but i did not figure it out to use tracks on both side of train
seems like enemies are getting closer and closer, i go out with a car and destroy many bases, but i am right that enemy keep on grosing any make new bases*

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 am
I want to make 2 trains for one track...but what if they collide? can that happen? SO one should be loading while the other unloading...??
You have several options here, such as:
  • Have a full double-tracked circuit along with a few lights so the trains don't crash.
  • Have a single-tracked bidirectional line with a bypass along the way, with signaling so the trains pass each other in the bypass section.
  • Have a single-tracked line with a loop at each end, with signaling so only one train enters the single-tracked section at a time.
What I usually do, though, is only run one train per ore patch, and just have several patches of the same ore mining at once. This ensures that when one runs dry, it doesn't stop your whole operation until you can set up another one.

And as others have noted, the further from the starting point you go, the more ore there is, so if you're willing to travel deep into biter territory, you can find huge, deep ore patches.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Then why are you having problems with iron when trains are away?

This how you do loading:
Coincidentally there are 8 iron lines here. Often it's less. Then I may use a 5-8 balancer for example. Or only load 4 belts into one side. The chests don't need to be full by the way. They hold a lot so you can limit them to one row

Unloading goes the other way around:
Unoading
I use stack filters here, but that's a luxury you don't need

Mining is fairly slow, so one train per mine is usually enough unless you have truly gigantic patches maybe. Then you can have a small stacker at the unloading station to allow multiple trains to use it. Just an area where trains can wait if the station is in use. Those can be parallel waiting tracks or linear ones where trains wait one after another.

Single vs. dual track is another issue. That's about running multiple trains. There are all kinds of tutorials and explanations out there about setting up train systems and signaling.

Personally I prefer double-headed trains. But a lot of people do single headed trains. Those accelerate more quickly, but require loops. Signaling is the same though. Here is a small section:
Signaling
The green marked signals on the outside are the regular direction and spacing signals. On a normal stretch you space them apart so you can fit your maximum train length. For example 1-4-1 or 1-8-1. Larger trains are generally fine with shorter signal length as they fit in eventually. You can also use the large power poles for measure the length of a segment.

Since I have two-headed trains I have terminus stations. Those need signals on both sides so the train can go in and out (in red). With a loop you'd continue the the station track, loop around and merge again

Then for junctions you place a chain signal (blue) before a crossing and a regular one after. Merges use regular signals

Here is a very good tutorial on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZiL7_vfJtQ
It's old so the graphics are outdated, but the principles haven't changed. Also shows you how you could use a single track and have bypasses. Stackers are shown too

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

double headed? that means it has two locomotives?

I hate the old vidoes, cause the graphics is so bad so I can barely recognize anything....

I have enought for today, I am exhausted from this game, it wants to take my soul, i play each day like never played another game

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm
I hate the old vidoes, cause the graphics is so bad so I can barely recognize anything....
:roll: They are still clearly recognizable as trains. And your eyes should be on the signals

Here is a modern tutorial that covers more, but also isn't as focused on signaling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co136r7pkTk
He also adds many superfluous chain signals at his junctions

Double headed means one locomotive in each direction. One at each end. Like real life trains are set up. The difference is that Factorio locomotives can only go forwards. So you have only one locomotive providing power and dragging the other behind it. This lowers acceleration. There is a mod to change that though.

Many people prefer single headed trains and loops, but that means you can't have super compact train stations. Either way works. It's personal preference
Last edited by Serenity on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

i like the idea of doubleheaded trains.....because right now I have to do an annoying loop at the end of the track so the train can turn around

i have specific train for each mine....but they share around 50 % of single track....so I need to set this up somehow
it is hard to understand the signalling...

it is not that clear

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

factoriobiker wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm
I have enought for today, I am exhausted from this game, it wants to take my soul, i play each day like never played another game
This is also normal. :D

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Leaving aside junctions and such it's simple enough. Signals come with a direction. And the game shows you that. You place down a single signal on the side and the train can only go that way. So you have another parallel track and put a signal on the other side. Train stops also show you the direction. If you place signals exactly opposite each other a train can go both ways.
Leave two or three rails worth space between the tracks. String along large power poles in the middle.

You can then pick either left hand or right hand drive depending on your preferences. Right hand seems to be more common. One means signals on the outside of the dual track. The other on the inside.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Serenity wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:47 pm
Double headed means one locomotive in each direction. One at each end. Like real life trains are set up.
In real life, "double heading" means two locos at the front. One at each end is called "top and tail".

Double heading is also possible in Factorio and useful to improve acceleration for longer trains.

Return to “Gameplay Help”