WHere to get oil and plastic?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

WHere to get oil and plastic?

Post by factoriobiker »

I can barely find oil in one place on map and I cant make plastic?

How to get the oil out and how to get it to my base, train? or pipes?

Great game btw I am obsessed

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHere to get oil and plastic?

Post by Koub »

You need to research plastic before making some.
If you have only a small patch of oil close to your base, fear not, there definitely is more somewhere further.
Usually, trains are not needed, on a default settings map, to start your first oil setup. But nothing prevents you to setup a train if you find it convenient or fun.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

In some maps oil can be quite far from the starting area so you'll need to go explore the map. Then you'll need to set up pumpjacks to get it out of the ground. You can use a storage tank to collect the oil and use pipes to connect the fluid outputs and inputs.

Then you can either transport the oil to your main base, or you can make plastic on site and move the plastic to your main base.

To make plastic you need a refinery to make petroleum gas and then a chemical plant to make plastic. The recipe also needs coal. Plastic is a separate research needed beforehand.

Some options for transporting crude oil:
  • Pipes and underground pipes - if it's long distances you might need to add pumps at regular intervals
  • By train in a fluid wagon - pumps are needed to pump oil into and out of the fluid wagon at the train stops
  • Using assemblers to put it into barrels to be moved on belts / train cargo wagons
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

the big problem is i am running out of iron, so I will have to constantly look for new resources, cause it runs out

factoriobiker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriobiker »

also i have no idea how to pump oil into train vagon? I have oil vagon and i produce oil but how to pump it?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

The wiki is your friend! Take a look at the guide to oil processing:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Oil_processing
Also, welcome to Factorio and have fun!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

factoriobiker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am
the big problem is i am running out of iron, so I will have to constantly look for new resources, cause it runs out
The farther you get away from your base the larger the ore patches get. Consumption increases as well, but the first distant patches you get by train will last you a while.

The starting patches are usually quite small to force you to expand to more ore outpost. If you are just learning the game you can also increase the size and frequency of ore patches. Then you can get additional patches within belt distance

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

factoriobiker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am
You can tune the resource generation to suit how you'd like to play. Size and frequency were mentioned by Serenity but increasing richness may be what you want.

There is a bit of interaction between the parameters, but roughly speaking:
- Frequency: increase/decrease to favour belts/trains (respectively) between resource patches and production areas
- Size: increase/decrease to make logistics easier/harder (respectively)
- Richness: increase/decrease to decrease/increase (respectively) how often you must find new patches

Return to “Gameplay Help”