Inserter not inserting?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Inserter not inserting?

Post by GlassDeviant »

I have a Science 3 assembler tree with some weird problems. Some of the items going into the assemblers are coming from other assemblers, some are coming from conveyor belts, and some from crates/chests. For some reason, even though all of the components are readily availablke in quantity (boxes are stuffed with items, belts are backed up on both sides, earlier assemblers in the chain are backed up with their finished goods) the Inserters (I've tried regular/orange and fast/blue) are just not inserting.

I've even tried picking some of the items up and stuffing them into the input spaces of the assemblers, and still the inserters won't pick up the slack when those stacks run out.

I can continually flip boilers from wood to coal and back without any problems, I figured out what I was doing wrong with underground liquid pipes (I was trying to go diagonally), I even managed to solve a problem with trying to get my oil converted nearly 100% to petroleum (via cracking, with a little siphoned off for lubricant and stuff), but these assembler chains are kiling me. What burns me the most is that the first chain that went bad (Science 3) was working before..and now the Science 2 chain has also gone wonky.

(large image, FYI, 4.5MB even as a PNG)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~glassdeviant/facbrokeio.png
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserter not inserting?

Post by DaveMcW »

My guess is the output inserter is not working. Are there 2+ science packs inside the assembler?

Some of the experimental releases had issues with inserting in the same direction a belt is moving.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Took a little while, but here they are. You'll notice the input and output boxes are stuffed, but it happens whether I do that or not.

The only one really working is the final Science 3 assembler, the Inserter is taking the fast inserters from the stuffed outbox of the other assembler and putting them in the Science 3 assembler, but none of the previous segments are working.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

That's just how assembling machines work. They stop requesting input when they have 2 copies of the recipe in the output stack.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

ok, I just seem to be getting a slowdown on my science 2 and 3 packs. I'll let it run a while longer without doing any research and see if my stockpile builds back up.
- GD

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

The last machine in chain is running at full speed the whole time I bet and the ones building the components are idling. You can add more assemblers for making the science packs to make it faster.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yup as everyone else said, machines stop asking to materials when they 2x the finished in their inventory. It confused me for the longest time, so no worries. :p haha
Also if you are having slow downs in your science pack production, most likely you just need more actual pack assemblers if all the intermediate products are backed up. :)
Hope that helps!
Image Image Image

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The issue is, that it is not clear, how much the inserter will insert.

The stacks could show that: oragne lamp/green lamp for example.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Getting the hang of this game I think, thanks for all the help.
- GD

Return to “Gameplay Help”