Laser turrets consuming far more power than expected

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TheNoseKnows
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Laser turrets consuming far more power than expected

Post by TheNoseKnows »

In the following screenshot, I have 32 accumulators providing 9.6 MW of power for three firing laser turrets (there is a fourth, but it isn't firing). The laser turrets, according to the GUI, consume 2.28 MW each (1.5 + 1.35 shots per second at 800 kW per shot). However, I've noticed that the inserters for the gun turrets never have enough power when the laser turrets are firing, and the graphs show that power consumption can run as high as 21.7 MW, far in excess of the expected 6.84 MW from the three laser turrets.

Apart from the laser turrets, I only have a few inserters and a radar on the same electric network. What is the reason for this high power consumption?

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Laser turrets consuming far more power than expected

Post by Impatient »

Needs more pictures and a complete list of entities in this power network for analysis.

I guess the satisfaction graph shows what would be needed to power all entities plus the 9.6 MW to charge the accus. If my guess is correct, it would explain the 21.7 MW number.
But if the accus can provide enough power for all the consumers in the network, the inserters should not run out of power.
Last edited by Impatient on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

4 Lasers: 2.28 MW x 4 = 9.12 MW
1 Radar: 300 kW
22 Inserters idle: 400 W x 22 = 8.8 kW
22 Inserters working: 13 kW x 22 = 286 kW

max consumption without accus charging: 9.12 MW + 0.3 MW + 0.286 MW = 9.706 MW

Which is more than the 9.6 MW the accus can provide.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

This is a known issue with the GUI in low power conditions that the developers currently don't care about fixing.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

DaveMcW wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:16 pm
This is a known issue with the GUI in low power conditions that the developers currently don't care about fixing.
Do you have a link?

TheNoseKnows
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheNoseKnows »

I've attached a screenshot of the laser turret electric network in full, as well as the save file.
DaveMcW wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:16 pm
I don't think it's an issue with the GUI, because I can see the inserters stop rotating due to low power.
Impatient wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:10 pm
4 Lasers: 2.28 MW x 4 = 9.12 MW
1 Radar: 300 kW
22 Inserters idle: 400 W x 22 = 8.8 kW
22 Inserters working: 13 kW x 22 = 286 kW

max consumption without accus charging: 9.12 MW + 0.3 MW + 0.286 MW = 9.706 MW

Which is more than the 9.6 MW the accus can provide.
The 22 gun turrets are simply spread too far apart to be able to shoot at the same group of attacking enemies, and I know that the fourth laser turret wasn't firing (no damage or kills registered).

The only thing I can think of is that the main network is somehow drawing power from the accumulators while the laser turrets are firing, which leaves an insufficient amount left for the turret network. But the accumulators shouldn't provide any power for the main network until all the steam engines are at max capacity, which they definitely aren't (about 18/72 MW).
Attachments
laser turret power.zip
(7.78 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
low power.png
low power.png (7.35 MiB) Viewed 2369 times

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I loaded the savegame and I can confirm that 3 laser turrets shooting make the consumption in this network hit the roof of 9.6 MW although they should only draw 6.9 MW.

Apart from that, placing 20 beacons into that network (laser turrets not firing), which consume exactly 9.6 MW, makes the satisfaction display 9.6 MW / 49.1 MW . It would be interesting to know, how those 49 MW are calculated. If charging the accumulators is included in the satisfaction, it still should not be higher than 20 MW.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Impatient wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:14 pm
Apart from that, placing 20 beacons into that network (laser turrets not firing), which consume exactly 9.6 MW, makes the satisfaction display 9.6 MW / 49.1 MW . It would be interesting to know, how those 49 MW are calculated. If charging the accumulators is included in the satisfaction, it still should not be higher than 20 MW.
“Not a bug.” I noticed something similar about the maximum power generation capacity displayed, and reported it. Its not something they plan on doing something about any time soon, if at all.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=82509&p=485367#p485367

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

TheNoseKnows wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:13 pm
In the following screenshot, I have 32 accumulators providing 9.6 MW of power for three firing laser turrets
Graph updates in 5s interval, however your firing rate power peak has higher freqency. So your accumlators cycle between source and consumption tab. So you can count laser consumption peak + 9,6MW accu peak. Those peaks do not happen at the same time, however the power consmtion gauge shows an averagee/meadian/max or whatever value is, so as result it might look like lasers consume more but it doesnt. It is accumlators which creeate the "unknown" consumption.
The inserters might get slow down do to timing or what, so I guess fo science, if you add one or two accu to cover those power jitters, you aree fine.
Lasers consume exactly what they say, "wrong" data are result of time scale measure and form of presentation.

I think the accumlators should not be considered as source in GUI, becouse they dont create power.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

This thread reminded me of this other one dedicated to running laser turrets as efficiently as possible (-97%?):

viewtopic.php?f=193&t=69537&p=426705
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Return to “Gameplay Help”