Train track help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Louis84i
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train track help

Post by Louis84i »

Hi,
I am working on my first proper Factorio world and I have trains running to and from my base to three different locations but all share a single stretch of line.
I have attached a file so you can see and the line and I need help with signalling. The line the one that connects YOBBIAS HENNINGS, JACK RAYNOR, MONKEY LONGNOSE, AKEMI HOMURA, OVARON and ISAAC ROBITAILLE.

I have tried watching youtube videos and done the tutorial to try and understand signalling but I still struggle with it. If someone could help me out or send me some useful information, I would appreciate it. If you like I can give you my email address and you can send a marked copy about where to put the signals.

Thank you!!
Attachments
Factor tra.PNG
Factor tra.PNG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 967 times

Zillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Train track help

Post by Zillard »

Rule of thumb: chain in, rail out.

Put a chain signal before a merge/split, and rail signal after the merge/split. If you have many intersections in close proximity to one another (within the length of one of your trains for example), use chain signals in the middle all the way to the last intersection, then rail signal on the leavinh line.

Signals break the line of rail into sections. For the stretch of rail that has 2 way traffic you dont want to put any rail signals down as it will allow trains to enter the intersections and cause a block on that section.

So start with a line going in 1 direction, put a chain signal before the merge, then a chain signal in the single line, just after the merge. Then put another chain signal before the split, and finally a rail signal after the split on the line going in the direction you started out with.

Then do the same for the line going in the opposite direction. This should solve your issue.

However, i suggest you use 2 lines instead of a shared one. This way you will have no issues with trains heading in opposite directions. One way traffic vs two way traffic.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

As said, you should strongly consider dual track for the parts that get used by several trains. You can lay out single tracks in a way that can be extended later. Your oil line for example could stay as a single track for the time being.

Think of chain signals as looking ahead to the next signal. They mirror the next one. So a chain signal is only green if the exit signal is also green. If a train occupies a block (such as an intersection) the chain signal will cause another train to stop in front of the intersection. Instead of driving into it and causing a blockage.
For merges like a simple Y-junction you don't necessarily need chain signals however. Just a regular signal on each track before the merge works just fine. They can't gridlock as they aren't actually crossings. I see that some tutorials recommend chain signals there, but they are somewhat wrong.

What's also easily missed is then when you make a certain section two-way you need signals for each direction exactly opposite each other

Also, you can rename train stations to something more appropriate like "Mine - Iron 1"

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

If you are willing to update to the experimental version 0.18 of Factorio, you can try out the newly improved train signalling mini-tutorials. That can help to get you started. The mini-tutorials for train signals in 0.17 are not that easy to follow.

If you are worried about "experimental": The main difference is graphics, sound and UI. So mainly polishing. It runs just as stable or maybe more stable than 0.17.

Return to “Gameplay Help”