Weird Constant Combinator and Wire Problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Weird Constant Combinator and Wire Problem

Post by sfreeddom »

Hello everyone, i am new on this game and just start to make use of constant combinator to avoid belt contamination.

When there is 1 belt , it works perfectly fine and stop the belt when item expect iron plate detected.
1 Belt
1 Belt
Annotation 2020-05-21 164601.jpg (145.83 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

However, when i attach wire to 2 belt , both belt stop at the same time.
2 Belt with red
2 Belt with red
Annotation 2020-05-21 164153.jpg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
So i start to wonder why it happen and how to fix it.
It turns out that the problem is fixed when i connect 1 with red wire and other belt with green wire.
1 Green 1 Red
1 Green 1 Red
1green_1red.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
And i experiment with 4 belts , 2 connected by green wire and 2 by red wires.

After some test, i find that when one belt connected with green wire stops, other belt with green wire also stops.
2 Green 2 Red
2 Green 2 Red
2green_2red.jpg (205.02 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

In fact, the four belt should be independent with each other and receiving the same output from constant combinator.
But somehow the output signal of belt with same color is shared and cause the problem (Not sure)

Is it a design problem on wire connection with belt??
And anyone could have better solution ??

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Weird Constant Combinator and Wire Problem

Post by steinio »

The wires all add up to the same signal at the connection point of the constant combinator.

You need a diode to let the signal only travel to the belt.
This is solved with an arithmetic combinator (actually you need 4) which only calculates each + 0 or each * 1 in between the const. comb. and each belt.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

sfreeddom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfreeddom »

steinio wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am
The wires all add up to the same signal at the connection point of the constant combinator.

You need a diode to let the signal only travel to the belt.
This is solved with an arithmetic combinator (actually you need 4) which only calculates each + 0 or each * 1 in between the const. comb. and each belt.
Thats good idea. But still arithmetic combinator couldnt solve the signal shared problem.

I find a better way is using two constant combinator connected with 1 red + 1 green .
Since red wire and green wire wont connected, 1 constant combinator could handle two belt at most

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You can solve it by using one belt for "read", and the belt after it for "enable/disable". Connect the two belts with green wire.

Then use red wire to connect the constant combinator to all the "enable/disable" belts.

Return to “Gameplay Help”