Placing blueprints in sandbox mode

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Placing blueprints in sandbox mode

Post by Kametec »

Hi,
I like to test and tweak setups and loadouts in sandbox mode before using them in standard game. But I find placing blueprints tedious in sandbox mode. I have to place the blueprint, put a roboport nearby, fill it with robots, power it, place a chest and keep filling it with required items.

I figured out I could use the console to make it so that I place the blueprints, copy and paste a command into the console and voila! The ghosts are built instantly and I can focus on things I want instead.

But the thing is... I don't know lua. At all. I'm afraid I would need many hours to familiarize myself with it well enough to write such script. So I thought I would ask local gurus instead, I'm sure someone already proficient will need a fraction of the time I need.

Therefore, I'd like to ask whether achieving such functionality through console script is possible in the first place? If so, can you please share a script which builds blueprint ghosts instantly, ideally without checking inventory? I'd be very grateful.

I've also tried to search for mods which would allow me to get similar functionality and I found https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autobuild, but either I haven't figured out how to use it or it doesn't work in sandbox mode where I don't have an avatar. If you know about a mod which would allow me to get blueprints built instantly in sandbox mode, I would gladly settle for that as well. I just want to get rid of a tedious and lengthy step in factory testing.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Placing blueprints in sandbox mode

Post by DaveMcW »

Type /editor to get instant blueprint build. Plus a bunch of other useful cheats.

Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kametec »

That is just the thing I was looking for, thanks a lot! I've had no idea that stuff like that exists.

(On a side note, I've learned today that you cannot build on undiscovered chunks. You learn new things every day!)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I'd say Editor mode is very important in the sandbox mode, so there must be more obvious way to know it even exists. Maybe some toggle button on the screen. I played too much time without it.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 am
I'd say Editor mode is very important in the sandbox mode, so there must be more obvious way to know it even exists. Maybe some toggle button on the screen. I played too much time without it.
+1

I'd done quite a lot of planning and blueprint-cutting in the sandbox before discovering the editor mode. It should be one of the options when you start a new sandbox (along with 'Always day' etc. that are already offered).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Khagan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:56 pm
coppercoil wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 am
+1

I'd done quite a lot of planning and blueprint-cutting in the sandbox before discovering the editor mode. It should be one of the options when you start a new sandbox (along with 'Always day' etc. that are already offered).
From the main menu there's a "Map Editor" button. It's the same thing as clicking "new game -> /editor" just wrapped in a button.

The sandbox scenario is the same as "new game -> /c game.player.character.destroy()" + a few other commands about daytime/cheat mode which you can also do if wanted. The editor can be toggled on any save file (singleplayer or multiplayer).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:44 pm
From the main menu there's a "Map Editor" button. It's the same thing as clicking "new game -> /editor" just wrapped in a button.
Which is great -- if you already know that the Map Editor is actually a good tool for testing factory designs and messing around with blueprints (activities more naturally associated with the idea of a 'Sandbox'), rather than just, er, Editing the Map (i.e. making scenarios). Hindsight is a wonderful thing. (So is documentation ...)

Return to “Gameplay Help”