Hello there, newbie here

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hello there, newbie here

Post by Serenity »

Cars NOT for combat, yes for mobility, extra inventory and exploration.
In the early game it's pretty good actually. The machine gun is fairly powerful with some bullet damage research. The car is very squishy, but against small and even some medium biters that's fine
Multiple Dedicated lines?
For some things, but not everything. Dedicated lines are good for circuits for example. For 2 belts of green circuits you need 3 belts of copper and 2 belts of iron. That's a perfect ratio (and the whole line down to blue circuits is nicely ratioed) and a lot of materials. And you also need tons of green circuits. So it makes sense to run dedicated lines.

Otherwise, one of the first design paradigms is the so-called "bus":
Bus.jpg
Bus.jpg (163.4 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
You put common materials on the bus, draw from them with splitters and then shove what's left to one side with priorities. That way you always have a full belt at the bottom and the upper ones deplete as more material is removed.
What you put on it is sometimes obvious (like a stone/brick belt), but others are personal preference. For example some people belt iron gears because they compress nicely (2 plates -> 1 gear), but you can also produce them locally

You can also easily build taps that draw a half lane of each in a compact form. That's enough for a lot of things

Leave two tiles between each group of 4 so you can use undergrounds between them

Keep in mind that without dedicated copper/iron lines for things like circuits and belt production 2 belts of each is not enough. Many people go for 4 iron and 4 copper. But I've found that with dedicated belts for circuits and dedicated iron belts for my "make everything" factory two belts is enough for the rest. Just has to be upgraded to higher tiers earlier than when more belts are available. It's also possible to inject new materials after one belt has been used up. Likewise I don't run the green circuits for red and blue circuits over the bus.

This is what you need on the bus for 90 science per minute with only the rocket silo using productivity modules:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... +76RBZTz8=
Doesn't even need blue belts. And most of the copper goes to low density structures, which could have a dedicated copper belt too

And to distribute material from multiple production lines to multiple belts look up belt balancers:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancer_mechanics
There are many ready to use blueprint books out there
Interconected assemblers, ignoring belts? in that case, how this can be replicated if it's needed?
Direct insertion is very good for some things. The main examples are steel and green circuits. Steel needs 5 iron plates, but takes 5 times as long. And green circuits craft very fast, but need lots of copper cable. So it's best to directly insert the cables. It's usually a bad idea to belt cables as 1 copper plate becomes 2 cables. The exception is red circuits as they have a very long crafting time.

Green circuits for example is often done like this:
GC.jpg
GC.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Sometimes direct insertion is also just convenient like engines into electric engines
Thematic regions? (Example: in this location, copper cable and iron comes in train, goes to a location with assemblers, there green circuits are mannufactured and another train transports this green circuits to the station of the assemblers wich crafts inserters or whatever.
That's good for a very large base, but you don't start like that. You'd build a belt based starter base for science and basic production and then you use that to build distributed production blocks
how do you feed the assemblers that demand's 3 items ...1 line of assemblers means unbalanced imput/output belts
Not an issue with a bus-like system. What you don't use moves on to be used by something else. If it's not used at all the belt backs up
Last edited by Serenity on Sat May 09, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

rorschach wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:44 am
--> Belt carrying copper, iron, stone, Intermediate products and so... at the same time... HELL NO.
Yes, as mentioned it is usually best avoided when transporting things around. Basic transport belts are cheap, just run two different belts even if neither is "full". But often I will merge them before going to sets of assemblers, as 3 or even 4 different inputs are not uncommon and it is easier to have one inserter/belt pick up two types of item.

I'll try and have related things together (e.g. the different belts, underground, splitters, and inserters have most inputs in common, along with some other things like electric miners and assembly machines. So having a "branch" with iron, gears and circuits works well). But a lot of that comes after a couple of playthroughs, and thus knowing that certain intermediates are used for certain things.

rorschach wrote:
At the best, building assemblers far of the rest, i have a lot of wasted space... and the ammount of belts up an down, to the right and to the left, ends complicating all.
On most maps, go for more space rather than less. Sure that 50 tile long belt across open grassland might feel wasted, but you will appreciate it when you realise you need to double, triple, maybe even quadrupedal some aspect of production easily, or need to add in some intermediate product you forgot.

rorschach wrote:
Interconected assemblers, ignoring belts? in that case, how this can be replicated if it's needed?
You look for ratios between recipes that are either perfect, or close enough. copper cable -> green circuits is common, I like to do sulphur -> acid as well for example.
t.png
t.png (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1112 times
Other times where direct insertion of everything needed is not simple, I will have a belt, but only "locally" over a short distance. Here the copper cables are made just for these very red circuits. Plastic I also make near by, with coal and gas brought in, as well as green circuits.
t.png
t.png (4.07 MiB) Viewed 1112 times
I actually keep the entire circuit setup "before" the bus, as the inputs and intermediates are such high volume to use a bus would need many extra lanes for a small number of blue and red circuits. Rather entire belts of copper, iron and coal are brought straight in.

This way my "main bus" only needs a couple of lanes for copper, iron and green circuits.
rorschach wrote:
Thematic regions? (Example: in this location, copper cable and iron comes in train, goes to a location with assemblers, there green circuits are mannufactured and another train transports this green circuits to the station of the assemblers wich crafts inserters or whatever.
And in fact, as building a larger base, the previously mentioned circuits then become an obvious candidate, as the copper and iron furnaces become a massive unwieldy block, the circuit factory can easily get its own furnaces and stations.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Half belts (one lane each of two materials) on the bus can work for some things. For example I put stone/brick on one belt. Blue circuits can also be combined with some other low volume item like low density structures maybe.
Otherwise copper/steel and green/red circuits works well in some places when drawing belts from the bus. But it also depends on how much you need. With the red circuit example, the ratios work out just right for half a belt each of green circuits, red circuits, copper plate and copper cable:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... ic-circuit

But there are plenty of ways to do things and over time you'll find out what works and what you like

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Landfill, cliff explosives, and robots can be your friends in clearing large areas of land (but leave some water for pumps!) In addition developing over water means there are no biters to displace...

I typically keep refining away from my main base, conveying in the refined iron, plastic, etc on a large belt (say "northward"). I then run a counter-belt of science flasks southward to the science grid. All the science I run half-belts, but the main Belt is one material per belt. An advantage of keeping the refining outside is then you can expand rail delivery to the same refining arrays as local belt sources dry up.

The Science recipes demand so many useful intermediate products I have inserters moving "overflow" product into logistic chests (or just directly to other assemblers, such as for robots)... furnaces, rails, engines, batteries, etc...
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Serenity said it all. BUS + Kirk's factorio caculator and you are fine. no headaches. Just two subtle additions:
1. Especially as a new player build your production lines on only one side of the bus, so you can extend the bus on the other side as needed.
2. Always add enough space between the production lines along the bus, because there will always be something you want to squeeze in later. "Enough" is like 3 times as much as you initially think you need.

Return to “Gameplay Help”