Balancers in endgame

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Balancers in endgame

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

Let's say I have a 5 blue belts that carry from factory 37-40 green circuits per second on every belt... And I want to split it between other factories, which inputs may not use all available input, but that would require me to have bigger amount of belts for the output... For example, like, 3 divisions of a Red Circuits that would use only 20 per second... And I'm counting that overtime all "belt branches" would fill up, so balance won't matter, as everything should be supplied and input should be slightly bigger than the rate at which it will be consumed...

So, am I have to use a bigass balancers for this reason, or there is more simpler methods for just "multiplying" belts?..

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Balancers in endgame

Post by DaveMcW »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 am
overtime all "belt branches" would fill up, so balance won't matter, as everything should be supplied and input should be slightly bigger than the rate at which it will be consumed...
If you assume that, it is easy. Put 5 splitters in a row, all with output priority: left. This creates a 6th belt on the left that you can feed to your assembling machines, and is guaranteed to be full if there is anything on the main bus.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 pm
imTheSupremeOne wrote:
overtime all "belt branches" would fill up, so balance won't matter, as everything should be supplied and input should be slightly bigger than the rate at which it will be consumed...
If you assume that, it is easy. Put 5 splitters in a row, all with output priority: left. This creates a 6th belt on the left that you can feed to your assembling machines, and is guaranteed to be full if there is anything on the main bus.
Tnx! This does seem to work. So this is for what that big splitter triangles on the busses are for...

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Run your splitters the other way, splitters used for merging can only fill holes, the way I think of them is they're moving the holes away from the drain.
Attachments
snap@T211251=880x480-33+43.25,z2.jpg
snap@T211251=880x480-33+43.25,z2.jpg (50.23 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:13 am
DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 pm
imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Tnx! This does seem to work. So this is for what that big splitter triangles on the busses are for...
If you are using Loaders, you are playing modded. What’s one more mod?

There are a couple that provide larger “chests” (whether they are called chests still or not, that is their function) that you can have your bus put into by Loader, and then have the bus take out of by Loader as well. Usually, the larger “chest” acts as a balancer, as the input is split evenly among the outputs.

Warehousing, Merging Chests, I’m sure there are others out there that have options in this regard.

If you are strictly using Splitters, personally I prefer to run them downstream rather than upstream. This allows for the closer belt to be filled back up, and the further belt to be emptied, depending upon demand. Running them all across the segment of the bus is also important - something you did, but the follow on poster did not.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

astroshak wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm
The loaders are probably just for testing.

And not all mods are equal. Personally I use many QoL mods, but I wouldn't use ones that so easily circumvent basic gameplay mechanics.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

astroshak wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm
These are vanilla loaders from creative(freeplay) scenario, as well as setting that makes all world in lab tiles.

Return to “Gameplay Help”