insert exact number of items

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

insert exact number of items

Post by varundevan »

Hi,

I need an inserter to insert exactly 40 items every time a signal is reached from another inserter.
the use case is, I don't want extra u235 to be inserted into the enrichment centrifuge.
Can someone help to achieve this, please?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: insert exact number of items

Post by astroshak »

Hook it up to a memory cell (arithmetic combinator taking Each +0, Each), having it pulse what it holds, but only set to operate when U238 < 40? And for the reset signal, wherever you get it, just send U238=0.

I’d think that would work, at least.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

If you dont mind the 2 tile gap (beacons), you could use something like this BP
The stack inserters are set to stack size 10, so after 4 swings, there is 1 U235 left in the 2nd chest, which enables the output inserter. The input is enabled if U235 > 1
Note: this will not work for productivity enhanced centrifuges, as sometimes they will produce extra U235, but it will get you started
Once you have the first circle running, you dont need extra U235, but the extra bit is trown out of the process

Sorry, I´m too tired for a combinator counter setup

20200409222701_1.jpg
20200409222701_1.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
Last edited by GrumpyJoe on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

astroshak wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:00 pm
Hook it up to a memory cell (arithmetic combinator taking Each +0, Each), having it pulse what it holds, but only set to operate when U238 < 40? And for the reset signal, wherever you get it, just send U238=0.

I’d think that would work, at least.
Thanks for the response,
I am trying to do exactly that, but I do not know how to reset the counter after 40 is reached. any idea?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

varundevan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:40 pm
but I do not know how to reset the counter after 40 is reached. any idea?
You need some signal from the output inserter (read hand contents) If you reset it straight after it hit 40, it will just push more into the machine.
Trying to wrap my head around this problem, but maybe that gives you an idea

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 pm
If you dont mind the 2 tile gap (beacons), you could use something like this BP
The stack inserters are set to stack size 10, so after 4 swings, there is 1 U235 left in the 2nd chest, which enables the output inserter. The input is enabled if U235 < 1
Note: this will not work for productivity enhanced centrifuges, as sometimes they will produce extra U235, but it will get you started
Once you have the first circle running, you dont need extra U235, but the extra bit is trown out of the process

Sorry, I´m too tired for a combinator counter setup

20200409222701_1.jpg

Your idea works, and it is clever too
Thanks for sharing
I appreciate it

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Im not taking credit for this one, i saw it like 3 years back on Youtube, forgot who it was.

You´r welcome. Im starting to play a bit more and will need this soon myself, forgot some basics....,
maybe someone could come up with something that doesn´t need like 10 combinators, like the abomination im thinking of right now. To work with productivity

Here is a variant i used before and just found in my library, I called it "Kovarex Primer"
It has a one time use counter that stops the belt until the process started, then disables the U235 input and uses the same method for circle and output as above

It has the advantage that its fire and forget, you dont need to prime it by hand or watch the centrifuges not getting too many when you start

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 pm
Im not taking credit for this one, i saw it like 3 years back on Youtube, forgot who it was.

You´r welcome. Im starting to play a bit more and will need this soon myself, forgot some basics....,
maybe someone could come up with something that doesn´t need like 10 combinators, like the abomination im thinking of right now. To work with productivity

Here is a variant i used before and just found in my library, I called it "Kovarex Primer"
It has a one time use counter that stops the belt until the process started, then disables the U235 input and uses the same method for circle and output as above

It has the advantage that its fire and forget, you dont need to prime it by hand or watch the centrifuges not getting too many when you start
but why is there a decider combinator, I really don't see a use for it.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

varundevan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:46 am
GrumpyJoe wrote:

I understood, it is a clever way.
Thanks again for sharing.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

GrumpyJoe wrote:

I have incorporated that counting part in my design,
however taking that single u235 out of the centrifuge, I have come up with my new idea of taking it out based on u238 output.
This is also fire and forget, however, there is a problem of delay between load up. I have managed to solve that problem with the help of the counter.
take a look and share your thoughts.

thanks again.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Quite honestly, I don’t see any real value to this in the long term.

Set up some Centrifuges doing Kovarex, and every so often check back with them, see if they’ve got enough stored that you can use it to start another machine. If so, take the excess out and put it into that other machine to get it going. Just keep on doing that until all your machines are running, at which point the extra 40/machine is not relevant.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

astroshak wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:48 pm
yeah, nothing worth doing in the long term. However, some nuclear fuel plants out there take a long time to start up, since they need all the kovarex centrifuges to be primed first
you get impatient, you wanna see it run

plus, its food for the brain. you might ask why play in the first place.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am
astroshak wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:48 pm
plus, its food for the brain. you might ask why play in the first place.
That is why I do this
Food for brain ... i've been sitting on it for 2 days ... , even though I have played the Freeplay not more than twice, i find it interesting to automate this process.
now i have to play the game to use my blue print... :D

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I'm fine with simply priming my centrifuges once per hand with exactly 40 uranium. After that it's trivial to remove the excess. Doesn't even need any combinators

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Serenity wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:36 pm
I'm fine with simply priming my centrifuges once per hand with exactly 40 uranium. After that it's trivial to remove the excess. Doesn't even need any combinators
its not that i am not fine with it , it was my interest to build truly fire and forget , just an attempt to do that ..

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

My take on a self priming, count perfect Kovarex setup:
viewtopic.php?p=383949#p383949

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

varundevan wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:55 pm
Serenity wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:36 pm
its not that i am not fine with it , it was my interest to build truly fire and forget , just an attempt to do that ..
That’s the thing ... you truly can just “build truly fire and forget” even with the kovarex centrifuges hoarding 80 instead of only keeping 40. It just takes a bit longer to ramp up production.

Return to “Gameplay Help”