Blue Science Struggles

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Jasonaroo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blue Science Struggles

Post by Jasonaroo »

In every playthrough I have done (I play on peaceful because I want to finish a game before actually enabling them) I always get red and green science enabled pretty easily, as well as advanced circuits and plastic/batteries (aka oil setup) but then I always get stuck because I can never put together a normal blue science setup that works even semi-decently. Any tips for a setup that is even remotely compact?

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Blue Science Struggles

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Jasonaroo wrote:In every playthrough I have done (I play on peaceful because I want to finish a game before actually enabling them)...
Can not do that, because you need alien artifacts to gain purple sience.
Jasonaroo wrote:... Any tips for a setup that is even remotely compact?
build more :), as in build double the materials you need, so you do not run out of resources :)
Last edited by Phillip_Lynx on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Jasonaroo wrote:In every playthrough I have done (I play on peaceful because I want to finish a game before actually enabling them)...
Peaceful mode doesn't affect artifacts in any way.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

FishSandwich wrote:
Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Peaceful mode doesn't affect artifacts in any way.
Hi Fisch,

no, the amount and avaialbility of artifacts is not alteret but I have understood the qoute in the way *I will not attack the aliens before I complete the game*. And you can not complete the game without attaking the aliens because you need the purple sience to get some resarches :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Ah right, I see what you mean. But I think OP is saying he wants to first finish a game on peaceful mode, before being forced to deal with biter attacks.

Jasonaroo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jasonaroo »

Guys, what I meant was I have the peaceful mode option checked... Meaning that biters won't attack until I attack them, which I will do as soon as I need purple science. But for now, I need to set up blue science. So with this out of the way could we perhaps return to the problem at hand?

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

This post has a great setup: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=6696

He also links to an earlier post that shows building it one science pack type at a time.

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

Man I have I had struggles with blue science learning this game

My last game I actually finished (yay!) and took what i think is a reasonable approach that seemed to make the blue science packs easier. Because you need literally thousands and thousands of green and red circuits to finish the game I dedicated a large patch in my base to the production on them first. Lots of them. IIRC I also set up basic oil processing in a suitable large section of the base to make, amongst other things, plastic and batteries again 'cos this is needed anyway. Then i said to myself I am going to need a lot of inserters of all types anyway. So I made an inserter production facility in another section of the base to keep me supplied in all types of them.

With all that in place making blue science packs is easy, and you need it all anyway. Before i had said "I need to make blue science packs, so what do I need for, say, four blue science pack assembly machines?". That, I found, was a mind fuck. The thing I learned this game is to spread out and give myself plenty of room to build expandable, modularized production areas dedicated to making particular things rather than trying to cram everything for something like blue science into a small space.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Gregorovitch wrote:Man I have I had struggles with blue science learning this game

My last game I actually finished (yay!) and took what i think is a reasonable approach that seemed to make the blue science packs easier. Because you need literally thousands and thousands of green and red circuits to finish the game I dedicated a large patch in my base to the production on them first. Lots of them. IIRC I also set up basic oil processing in a suitable large section of the base to make, amongst other things, plastic and batteries again 'cos this is needed anyway. Then i said to myself I am going to need a lot of inserters of all types anyway. So I made an inserter production facility in another section of the base to keep me supplied in all types of them.

With all that in place making blue science packs is easy, and you need it all anyway. Before i had said "I need to make blue science packs, so what do I need for, say, four blue science pack assembly machines?". That, I found, was a mind fuck. The thing I learned this game is to spread out and give myself plenty of room to build expandable, modularized production areas dedicated to making particular things rather than trying to cram everything for something like blue science into a small space.
^This. When it comes time to get blue science going, I would focus on just getting the things needed for it built, without specifically doing for blue science, as you will the products for other stuff anyway. Also build with plenty of room to expand. If you think you left enough room, double it. Once you get the products for science done, which you said you had already, then it's easy. Just split off some of each and run them all to the location you want and throw down blue pack assemblers. :D
I did what the above poster did, I just pretty much dedicated sections of my base for each product needed (again, because you need the stuff later anyway for other things), and just ran them all up to one location for blue. Hope this helped! :)
Image Image Image

Frostea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frostea »

Xterminator wrote:If you think you left enough room, double it
Very sound advice. Also, if you think you have enough production, it is time to triple it.

For example, you have two sets of 32 furnaces making the iron/copper plates, and you managed to get blue science running. To actually achieve endgame at a reasonable pace, you should at least triple that and consequently, triple your green/red circuit production.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

The game focuses heavily on exponential growth. If you want to have large production of high-end products, you have to make a massive infrastructure to support it. This means insane amounts of smelters, assemblers and coal plants or solar panels.
Ignore this

Return to “Gameplay Help”