Please explain Maximum Expansion Distance

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bogdanov89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Please explain Maximum Expansion Distance

Post by Bogdanov89 »

There is a setting called Maximum Expansion Distance in the enemy configuration during Map Generation.
Its description says "The maximum distance enemies will look to expand from other enemy bases" - however i am not understanding what this means.

If i change this between minimum and maximum (2 and 20) how will that affect enemy/insect expansions?
If i put it to minimum does that mean enemies will not expand if there is no room around their other bases?
If i put this to maximum does that mean enemies will sometimes travel far away from their other bases just to build a new base?
If i wanted a maximum challenge (most powerful enemies) should i set this to 2 or 20?

Thank you very much.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Please explain Maximum Expansion Distance

Post by Loewchen »

If you decrease it, enemies will expand closer to existing bases and vice versa.
If in the area you specify is no room for an expansion they wont create an expansion.
Yes.
The higher the value the faster the enemy will gain ground.

Bogdanov89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bogdanov89 »

Thanks!

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Maximum challenge I'd think would come from decreasing the distance. It'll more tightly pack them in, making them harder to root out.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You always have the option to ignore tightly packed enemy bases. But you can't ignore a behemoth worm that expands just outside your turret range.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think there's something to be said for both high and low expansion distances (the former leads to more aggressive expansion, the latter to more dense expansion), but ultimately the frequency of expansion is probably going to have a far bigger impact on difficulty.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Gameplay Help”