Need help with rail signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
asmi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Need help with rail signals

Post by asmi »

Hi guys,

I've recently started playing a game, and got to the point where I need to use trains. So I've built the following setup:

I'm a big fan of train sims, so my first instinct was to use the following setup:
Unfortunately this didn't quite work ("no path" error). It does work if I put two-sided signals in all four points, but with bad timing incoming train would block outgoing if the former manages to get to point 4 before the latter would depart the station (and thus end up in deadlock), while the intention is for the second train to wait at point 1 until the station unloading is clear.
The "passenger platform" is used by me to travel between bases, so normally there is no traffic from it.

Please help me to figure this out. Thanks!

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Need help with rail signals

Post by LordFedora »

the ending stations need a signal out (double side it) otherwise the train can't leave the station

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

The simplest fix is to make a loop for both the passenger and unloading spurs and maintain a one way condition on all of your track. Otherwise, the layout will continue to depend on how many trains you are running and require passing/waiting areas that are susceptible to blocking.

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

I think the problem you face is that the crossing points *and* the straight sections 1-3, 2-4 are all considered one block so if any train is stopped at the signals at 3 or 4 nothing can get out of the "platforms". One way you may get what you want is to remove the 2-3 point and loop the track from passenger platform round to the unloading platform and put the passenger platform in it's own block. If you then remove the signal at 4 on your diagram and replace it with an incoming signal on the 1-4 point near the unloading platform, however if you had an endless queue of incoming traffic for the unloading platform your personal train may get stuck indefinitely at the passenger platform, i don't know what the priority rules are in that situation.

The simplest and most flexible method may be to use a long oval turnaround with multiple unloading platforms across the oval. One of those could be your personal train's station.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

An important thing to remember with train signals is that they also work as a one-way designator. Train can only path in the direction that the arrows show. If you have engine on both sides, you'll need to put a signal on the opposite side of the tracks. If you place it right, it will highlight the opposite side in blue telling you that they are linked. A problem arises in that it is possible for another train to approach that point and block the other train from leaving.

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

Sorry to jack this thread. Also need a little help if you could, please?

I can't figure out what's not working here at all. I've thrown down signals everywhere, doubled them up, and had them around the H cross, but no dice.

This is effectively driving on the left, with an off-ramp driving across (or what would be underneath, were there tunnels or bridges available!) east to my steam garden. It is a complete loop and I can manually ride the train back around to here, but the train itself is not interested.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I think it is impossible to say what is wrong without seeing the complete track, and knowing the destination...
The image you attached looks fine (if not a bit heavy on the signals if it is a one-way system), but there could be problems further down the track

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

I did throw a lot down to see if it made a difference.

I can screen the entire track if you'd like? My upload speed is pretty crap for multiplayer.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

You only need to upload images of places with signals, but make it clear how it all connects up.

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

Hope this makes sense!

I've cut out straight track and just cut together the cross overs.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I must say I can't see anything wrong with it... The only thing that may cause trouble is the signal on the for in the eastern loop - it looks to me as if the two signals may not be connected (if you hover the mouse over one of them does it highlight the other?)

Anyway - try to narrow it down - are there any places from which the train can find a path? Start from the station and go back one block every time, and see where it starts to say "No Path" - this is where the problem is.

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

This one?

I had tried putting random stations at various sections; it runs the straights fine but seems to be that where ever the rail crosses with itself in another direction causes No Path error.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Yes, that's the one I was talking about, and it does seem ok.
I guess unless somebody else sees the problem you would either have to figure it out yourself, or upload the game somewhere we can download it and have a closer look....

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

Ok, I restarted the game and hit the play button on the train. Started clearing up some signals back the way they were.

For whatever reason, when I remove the one circled, the train shot passed me.

Maybe that signal was a dud I don't know but I've just watched the train do a full loop without a problem...

I appreciate your quick replies and efforts to help :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A signal at that point is of course the reason. :)

Ps: I recommend in general "right hand traffic" cause it enables to built the signals on the other side, cause you can get sometimes in a situation, that you need to built the rails side by side and have no space between the rails. Would be a cool to have an option "right hand" "left hand", like in OpenTTD.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

If there was an occasion where I'd need the rails side by side, I'd just move the signals further down, or build around it :)

I build to drive on the left, because it's how I drive in my country (UK), so makes it easier to think about it!

I tend to do signals near to every big electric pole length. In TTD it'd be about every 10 squares :D

warmadmax
Inserter
Inserter

Post by warmadmax »

i wouldn't double up on the double tracks at all, better to force it to "drive on the left" on all tracks in my mind,
if you can do double rail runs and single end the train them and don't give them any back on yourself loops then they can only go one way.

i'm a "drive on the left" UK'er as well ;) i do like the roundabout's that i saw in mangledpork's "railworld" youtube videos

i've put on the RSO mod to spread out the resources and biters for a train heavy game

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

While we're at it - I prefer the "train on the right" side, it makes reading the signals easier for me.

Return to “Gameplay Help”