Blueprints... What am I doing wrong?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Blueprints... What am I doing wrong?

Post by MassiveDynamic »

Am I the only one who finds dealing with blueprints and the blueprint book clunky and difficult? I recently accidentally deleted my entire blueprint book for my factory while trying to update one bad blueprint. Granted I am not a great keyboard expert and my muscle memory is a little flawed, but the whole operation just seems awkward to me.

Revile me and correct my ways.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Blueprints... What am I doing wrong?

Post by mergele »

Yeah bluprintbookdeletion desperatly needs a confirmation.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

mergele wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 pm
Yeah bluprintbookdeletion desperatly needs a confirmation.
Player need no confirmation IF game allows to recover it later. Confirmations are boring. "Recycle bin" is good. HDD are cheap. IMO Factorio just needs some file backup system (accidentally overwritten gamesaves is the same story).

While we have no automatic backups, confirmation would be good.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Updating blueprints is indeed painfully unergonomic. But if i remember correctly, it is already on their list.

I never deleted a blueprint or book accidentally - but irrevocable (or annoying to undo) actions should never be one-click immediate in any UI.
It should require two clicks either on different (they might be nearby though) locations or with a small delay between them to make sure, that it isn't just a random accidental click (some people seem to do these unconsciously).

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Two clicks is dummy workarround. That's better than nothing but still not good enough. There shouldn't be irrevocable or annoying to undo things in nowadays, otherwise there is an UI/UX flaw.
What we are toking about, a solution or a temporary workarround?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

coppercoil wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 am
There shouldn't be irrevocable or annoying to undo things in nowadays, otherwise there is an UI/UX flaw.
It should still be possible to finally get rid of a save or blueprint. And with finally i mean irrevocably. Being able to delete what is not needed anymore is not a UX flaw - being able to do it easily by accident is.

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 am
coppercoil wrote:
There shouldn't be irrevocable or annoying to undo things in nowadays, otherwise there is an UI/UX flaw.
It should still be possible to finally get rid of a save or blueprint. And with finally i mean irrevocably. Being able to delete what is not needed anymore is not a UX flaw - being able to do it easily by accident is.
Well, BP aren’t exactly confidential information that you must be able to permanently delete immediately.

A trash bin with a capacity of 10 deleted BP - anything above that is deleted beyond recovery, first in first out - would be useful.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Oktokolo wrote:
Being able to delete what is not needed anymore is not a UX flaw - being able to do it easily by accident is.
Actually, the concept "delete" is outdated. Think, an unnecessary item is hidden and kept safe for some time. If you can unhide it in a single click, that is not called "an accident" anymore. No warnings, no stress, no redundant clicks, no attention required, just keep playing. You can just change your mind later ant get all things back.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Nemo4809 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am
Oktokolo wrote:
coppercoil wrote:
A trash bin with a capacity of 10 deleted BP - anything above that is deleted beyond recovery, first in first out - would be useful.
coppercoil wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am
Think, an unnecessary item is hidden and kept safe for some time.
Both options (explicit trash can and implicit trash can) count as possibility to finally get rid of a save or blueprint in the context of blueprints and saves for me - both are not the most dev-time-conserving ways to fix the actual bug, but they fix it.

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

Frankly, I think they should just rip off Windows'/MacOS's file managers (Windows Explorer/Finder). Why reinvent the wheel?

Add cut, copy, paste and delete buttons at the top of the window.
Hold Control to select multiple items.
Hold Shift to select multiple items with keyboard arrow keys.
Double-click to open a blueprint book - like you double click to open a folder.
A trash bin icon at the top right to allow access to the trash bin to undelete stuff.

All blueprints (and deconstruction/upgrade planners) should automatically going into the blueprint library on creation - including when placed on Quickbar.

Return to “Gameplay Help”