Logistics in Vanila game

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
BasterFac
Inserter
Inserter

Logistics in Vanila game

Post by BasterFac »

Hi

Just a question. How do I use those 2 chests (provider and storage chest) until i get the other chests ?
I played a bit arround and cant tranport anything from point A to B with only those 2 chest.

Why not unlocking all in one go ? Or do I miss something ? :)
So I have to play until I unlocked requester chest anyways ...

https://imgur.com/a/S6cZ4YZ

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Logistics in Vanila game

Post by Selvek »

The idea is that personal logistics are unlocked first, and logistics for the factory are unlocked later.

With only provider chests, you can set up systems to provide the player with required items. The logistic storage chests also let you use the logistics trash slots. Later, when you unlock requester chests, you can set up production lines that make use of logistic bots.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

After a bit of robot speed research they can be pretty useful for personal supply. And construction bots can use storage chests to build from too!

You can build an automated "make everything factory" with only storage chests:

1.) Set up some constant combinators with the items and amounts you want
Logistics1.jpg
Logistics1.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
2.) Output into storage chests that are filtered for the item. The filter means they are preferred for that item over unfiltered chests when it comes to putting stuff in them
Logistics2.jpg
Logistics2.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
3.) Wire all the output chests together with one wire color and the output inserters with the other one:
Logistics3.jpg
Logistics3.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
4.) Connect the wire from the storage chests to the input of an arithmetic combinator. Set it to Each * -1, Output Each (multiply each item by -1). Connect the inserter wire to the output of the combinator and the constant combinators from Step 1
Logistics4.jpg
Logistics4.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
5.) Set the output inserters to be active when Item > 0
Logistics5.jpg
Logistics5.jpg (106.6 KiB) Viewed 2901 times

Now what happens is that the content of the chests will be made negative and added to the constant combinators. So if there is a shortage of items the signal will be positive and the inserters activate, filling the chests.
And when you trash or deconstruct items they will be put into the storage chests thanks to the filters. That way you can recycle certain intermediate items like the yellow belts in the above picture. And with other items the stuff that has been put back will be used before anything new is produced.

Passive provider chests are actually bad here since they can't receive anything. Buffer chests that request their own item work too, but that's only available later

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

If you don't have requester chests researched yet, you can still abuse the logistics system, if you have construction bots in the network. Assuming you have a chest (any kind) with the item you want, then set up a filtered storage chest at the destination. (For multiple items, you'll need multiple chests) Deconstruct the source chest and the robots will preference the storage chest for storing the items. "Undo" if you wish the source chest to remain.

Sopenas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sopenas »

it is easier to just craft 500 yellow science bottles and get all missing logistic chests

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moving this to Gameplay Help, I feel it's where it belongs.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BasterFac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BasterFac »

thanks for lightening up things a bit :)

until now I didn't bother using robots to supply myself (at this game stage). Usually at this stage my factory is not that big so I just take all I need out of chests by hand.
Bu maybe it would be good to start placing provider chests to prepare the logistics network for later. Ans you can start building robots already.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Serenity wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:13 pm
You can build an automated "make everything factory" with only storage chests:
That's a really neat setup. Might be interesting to make a blueprint book for this to advance faster in new worlds. Might be useful in my automatic self building factory.
Sopenas wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 pm
it is easier to just craft 500 yellow science bottles and get all missing logistic chests
But then you also need the logistics bots. And those require more resources to build and you might already have a big conbot swarm because those are useful in lower tech. I agree that in many cases it is simpler to just set up the minimum required slow factory for a few yellow drinks. But it could still be useful, and even more important, an interesting puzzle for more advanced builders that want to do it because it is a bit silly ;)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Qon wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am
That's a really neat setup. Might be interesting to make a blueprint book for this to advance faster in new worlds.
It's not really my design, but based on one by KatherineOfSky. She started with the belt and inserter section I think and then people on one of her servers just added more and stuff after that. Then she adjusted it over time to her tastes. So did I. By and large it's still the same, but beyond the start I basically redid the entire thing with the same ideas in mind. Sometimes I wanted things in different places. Sometimes recipes changed or new ones were added. I made the power poles OCD friendly :geek:

I don't think she ever did the logic wire thing though (haven't watched her channel in a long time however). But I find it extremely convenient to adjust the numbers in a central place. I only use individually capped chests for power armor equipment, which is very rarely needed.

Factory

• This thing eats a lot of iron for the belt section and some other stuff. Also copper and steel for certain items. At the start it can be fed from the main bus, but it really needs dedicated iron smelters and belts once you get to red and especially blue belts. There are spots left free to beacon the gear assemblers (only needed in the lower half). Some belts benefit from being blue later on, but you also need to be able to supply the materials.
  • Engines can also be a bottleneck with their low crafting time and benefit from AM3 and possibly speed modules
  • It's not 100% belt based. There are requester chests for some high end items. AM3 requests speed modules because two SM1 assemblers are not enough. Some items request concrete and electric engines that are produced elsewhere. In practice low density structures are easier to request too than being bussed all the way - you can output from a requester chest to the belt
  • It doesn't do accumulators or solar panels as those need multiple assemblers
  • It obviously can't run everything at full speed at the same time, but generally that doesn't happen once the chests are full

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Serenity wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:54 pm
Qon wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am
That's a really neat setup. Might be interesting to make a blueprint book for this to advance faster in new worlds.
It's not really my design, but based on one by KatherineOfSky.
I meant the system of doing logistics with conbots. The mall thing is neat too, but somewhat standardized and not as quirky as using conbots for logistics with by using the circuit system. I realize now that the part that I find neat isn't actually in the game though without mods. You can't automate sending away items by deconstruction of storage chests without recursive blueprints. So it doesn't do all what I thought it did first time I read it. But I am using recursive blueprints in my self building factory, so I can automate destroying/rebuilding chests and completely replace logbots.

Return to “Gameplay Help”