Repairing trains without construction bots interfering with construction

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Repairing trains without construction bots interfering with construction

Post by JasonC »

I want to be able to repair damaged trains automatically in a few places. Logistics networks with construction bots can do this.

However, when I have construction bots on the network, they always seem to interfere with my personal construction bots by attempting to construct / destruct random spatterings of things.

This is a problem (particularly when copy+pasting or placing blueprints or planned rails) because, among other things:

- Destructed items go to network storage, not inventory (so a random portion of cut / deleted things go to chests and I have to run around grabbing them).
- Sometimes they try to construct partial things / repair destroyed objects without having the needed items in storage (so even though my personal bots could do it the network bots just sit there generating notifications).
- Sometimes they try to destroy things but on a network with no storage they just hang around complaining about lack of storage (even though my personal bots could just put things in my inventory).

Is there some way to have bots automatically repair trains that doesn't ... suck? :lol:
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Repairing trains without construction bots interfering with construction

Post by astroshak »

Turn off your personal Roboport. Deconstruct the base Roboport(s) so the area you want to work in is not covered by them.

Turn your Roboport back on. Construct/deconstruct what you want to do. Once done, turn your Roboport back off. Use construction orders to have base bots rebuild the Roboport(s) you had removed to provide that clear area.

Its a bit of work, but there you go.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

astroshak wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm
Turn off your personal Roboport. Deconstruct the base Roboport(s) so the area you want to work in is not covered by them.

Turn your Roboport back on. Construct/deconstruct what you want to do. Once done, turn your Roboport back off. Use construction orders to have base bots rebuild the Roboport(s) you had removed to provide that clear area.

Its a bit of work, but there you go.
Ick. Thanks.

After reading your reply I went back and ended up putting a little thing next to each roboport that removes the robots / puts them back in response to a circuit signal and added a little switch to turn it on and off, then I can turn it off, wait for it to pull out all the robots, and do my thing. (If you have logistics bots there too you can add minimal stuff by removing them to provider chests then having just one of the roboports be next to a construction bot requester chest to collect them all and put them back in; that way you only need one chest and inserter taking up space by all the other roboports).

It's too bad there isn't a better way to control this. I can think of a few ideas. Oh well thank you.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

Could you use a filter inserter to only remove the construction bots? That way your factory wouldn't grind to a halt when you built something.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:21 pm
Could you use a filter inserter to only remove the construction bots? That way your factory wouldn't grind to a halt when you built something.
Yep.

That was my ultimate solution and it's working quite well.

I also read the total construction bots from a roboport and light up a light when it's 0; so basically I hit the switch then wait for the light to turn on and then I can do whatever. It's not inconvenient.

Return to “Gameplay Help”