How do I increase acid resistance for modular armor?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
AustraliumEngineer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How do I increase acid resistance for modular armor?

Post by AustraliumEngineer »

It says 0/50% How do I get it to 50/50%?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do I increase acid resistance for modular armor?

Post by Serenity »

You don't really. Power armor has higher resistances

Also, 50/50% means damage is first reduced by a flat 50 points and then the rest is reduced by another 50%

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Yea. Armor resistances are not fractions, they are a combination of two numbers, separated by a slash.

The first is the flat amount of damage reduced from the hit. The second is the percentage of damage after that reduction that gets ignored.

If you have physical 3/20% and get bit for 8 damage ... that 8 gets reduced by 3, to 5. That 5 is then reduced 20%, to 4.

If you have acid resistance of 0/50%, that means that the 30 point Acid hit you just took is reduced by a flat zero, to (duh) 30 ... and then gets reduced by 50%, down to 15.

I hope that helps your understanding of how armor and resistances work in Factorio.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

OP does have a fair point in saying that the game does not explain that very well. Luckily the wiki does it in detail here :-)

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

There are several things the game does not explain well. Armor/resistance being but one of them. That your machines stop working if *one* output is backed up is another. That fluid flow through pipes decreases as the overall pipe length grows, but that this can be alleviated with enough pumps, is yet another. Need I go on? :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

astroshak wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:28 am
Need I go on?
No need. But especially those examples you picked out
  • fluids backing up,
  • fluid flow in long pipes being a problem,
  • pumps helping in the latter situations
are exactly things that need not be explained necessarily. By just looking at the problem and thinking about the logic of the game, you will figure these mechanics out: Whenever a recipe finishes, its products are produced. If there is no space for products, that is a problem. Especially with the status indication of the entity saying "fluid backup" and the fluid highlighted in the entity's UI. Fluid flow in large pipes can appeal to experiences with real-world physics -> Pipes may help!

But the notation of resistances in the tooltips is not necessarily easy to figure out by trial and error, or by appeal to the real world experiences. Neither is the notation for the personal roboport status in the modular armor with how maximum number of robots and robot charging spots are encoded.

I hope I could make the point clear: Not everything needs to be explained in text form by the game. Some things can be understood from trial and error or the behavior of the game. But some things are just too cryptic to understand straight from the information/behavior given in the game. In that sense I agree with the OP: resistances belong to the latter.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Overall I cannot disagree with the idea that more in game information would be a good thing. That’s kind of the entire point of this entire thread, is it not?

Return to “Gameplay Help”