[0.17.74] Loaders only work one way

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.74] Loaders only work one way

Post by ChurchOrganist »

I noticed this behaviour whilst preparing for a modded Pyanodon game.

The standard loaders as found in the editor (I was using a mod which reskinned them at the time) will only take things out of an entity onto a belt - they will no longer put things into an entity from a belt.

The attached vanilla save demonstrates this
Attachments
Loader Bug.zip
(784.73 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.74] Loaders only work one way

Post by posila »

You didn't place them right. You need to place the one that's supposed to load into furnace as if you wanted to unload from furnace and when on ground, rotate it to swap its direction (to make it load to the furnace)
Attachments
loader.png
loader.png (168.55 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Well! I was fiddling about for ages trying to get it to work!

Thanks for enlightening me.
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

posila wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 am
You didn't place them right. You need to place the one that's supposed to load into furnace as if you wanted to unload from furnace and when on ground, rotate it to swap its direction (to make it load to the furnace)
*blink* *blink* Someone please tell me I'm not the only person who was confused after reading this explanation.... I guess it doesn't matter, since the original poster found a solution, but I read this very slowly several times and I do not understand it.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Yea... a loader has a "belt" side and a "chest" side .
Trick is:
1. place the loader first with the correct side to the belt/chest
2. set the direction with R.
loader close-up.png
loader close-up.png (66.72 KiB) Viewed 1521 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

disentius wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Yea... a loader has a "belt" side and a "chest" side .
To elaborate a bit more:
In the above picture you see the default setup of a loader. It takes up two tiles (2x1) with one short end looking like an outgoing belt. Connecting this side to a belt will connect to belts. Great!

However, the other short side is what connects to entities like chests, assemblers, etc.
By default, the loader is always unloading. No matter how you rotate it before placing it, it will always unload. You can make it unload from the north to the south, or from the south to the north (or east->west or west->east) by pressing R several times before placing it on the ground.
However, after it is placed, you cannot rotate the 2x1 entity any more. Pressing R after it is placed results in an inversion of the direction. Only then will you be able to load an entity.

This behavior is analogous to underground belts. Whenever you place an underground belt, it is always first going downwards.
Only when you connect the second part of the underground belt, will you get a piece that goes back up from underground.
However, if you just place one downwards underground belt and then hover over it and press R, you will get a single underground belt that is coming up without having a corresponding underground belt to go down. While this is not used by many people, some use it for separating the different lines on a mixed belt. See also the corresponding article in the wiki.

As a side note: The modded "Loader Redux" has a more sophisticated snapping logic for the loader that respects the belt direction. If you connect a "loader redux" to an entity it will by default unload again. However, when you connect an incoming belt, the loader redux will automatically revert its direction such that it correctly loads. I am not sure how many other modded loaders adopted that kind of automatic adjustment of direction. Maybe "Miniloaders", maybe "Vanilla Loaders HD", not sure.

Return to “Gameplay Help”