[0.4.0] Rail signals: same segment number in both directions

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.4.0] Rail signals: same segment number in both directions

Post by MF- »

I built two railway signals next to one segment boundary.

They both claim the same segment number in their mouseover info.
Did I misunderstand something?

I though they show the number of the segment which's state their lights represent.

PS: I expected being able to be able to hook the signal to the network.

EDIT: I have no clue where I read "stations".
I guess we don't have a strikethrough tag? And the font colour selection doesn't offer gray
[s]PPS: The stations work more like waypoints / markers / railway stops - that doesn't need more than a pole with a name tag)
Stations, at least for me, have some buildings / facilities along the track. Bulk loading/unloading functionality comes to mind.[/s]

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.4.0] Rail signals: same segment number in both direct

Post by slpwnd »

MF- wrote:I built two railway signals next to one segment boundary.

They both claim the same segment number in their mouseover info.
Did I misunderstand something?

I though they show the number of the segment which's state their lights represent.

Rail signal is "bind" to the rail. Every rail has just one segment. The rail signal shows the segment it is bind to (the segment of the rail). That might not be the same as segment that it "guards". Sorry if this is confusing.
MF- wrote:PS: I expected being able to be able to hook the signal to the network.
In the future :)
MF- wrote: PPS: The stations work more like waypoints / markers / railway stops - that doesn't need more than a pole with a name tag)
Stations, at least for me, have some buildings / facilities along the track. Bulk loading/unloading functionality comes to mind.
Actually the entity is called the Train Stop. Yes it is basically a marker. The station is abstract thing composed of multiple stops and loading / unloading structures that the player builds. At the moment the mapping is 1 train stop - 1 train station. However in the near future the player will be able to select multiple train stops to be the part of the same station (identified by the name). That means basically a gui in the train stop to select from the existing stations. The train schedule contains names of the stations. It is then up to the pathfinding to select the train stop that fits the best based on the current trains position, other trains, etc. This can be useful for the stations with multiple tracks or stations that accept trains in both directions, etc.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.4.0] Rail signals: same segment number in both direct

Post by MF- »

note that you didn't get the latest version of the post. I managed to realize in time, that I misread.

@segment number on signals.
Okay. I thought they are at rail boundaries, so it can bind to the correct segment.
(And I think that the number of the segment it's guarding might be somewhat useful)

ok :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”