Can not understand train signals.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Sergey31
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can not understand train signals.

Post by Sergey31 »

Hello. I try to understand how train signals actually works, and I can't. On '7' image the train moves in manual mode and I see that all signals work as I expected, but if the same train moves in auto mode the signals work differently, see '8' image. Also I have noticed that if I place a train in crossroad when another train moves to it, the signals of this crossroad works as I expected but moving train does not stop, see '5' and '6' images. Please help.
Attachments
8.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1299 times
7.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1299 times
6.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1299 times
5.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1299 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Can not understand train signals.

Post by boskid »

There is nothing wrong here.

Train when moving in auto will reserve some blocks in advance since it knows path it wants to go. Train in manual could turn on player's input so there is no reservation in advance. Block in which train is (auto or manual), is occupied so there is red on chain signal (since there is no path that would let you exit chain signals without going through reserved block)

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Rule of thumb is chain in, rail out.

Deeper explanation: Chain in means that a train won't enter a section unless it can clear the section. Rail out means that once a train gets past the next signal after that the intersection is "clear" again so more trains can enter.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

If you are expecting to drive trains manually on a track, you should place the entrance signal to that intersection well ahead of the intersection itself so that you reserve the intersection block earlier while driving manually. At least far enough ahead that any trains that have already reserved the intersection to cross the track of the manual train can clear it, and any that have not yet will stop at the intersection. Another option is to cross the chain signal into the intersection block slowly and wait to make sure that there is no oncoming traffic that has already reserved that block before proceeding.

Return to “Gameplay Help”