Flamethrower turret - Heavy or light oil?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pongard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Flamethrower turret - Heavy or light oil?

Post by Pongard »

I want to build a defense wall with flamethrower turrets, but am unsure whether to use heavy or light oil. I read somewhere that light oil is more valuable, ist that true? On the other hand I have more light oil at hand, so why not use it?

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Flamethrower turret - Heavy or light oil?

Post by Honktown »

Oil itself is generally the best to use. Flamethrower turrets are strong enough to toast everything, and walls (do use walls, double thick) will always take damage because the turrets don't aim ahead/the flame stream is slow.

If you want to use the higher-damage oils, be aware flame turrets only use 3 per second and you don't need to stack them densely like lasers/guns.

A spoiler about flamethrower turrets one weakness:
they melt construction bots repairing the walls when you get the damage boosted with research. CONSTANTLY. WHOOP WHOOP LOST A CONSTRUCTION BOT
I have mods! I guess!
Link

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Wiki says light oil gives +5% damage comparing to heavy oil. I think 1/20 difference is negligible. Just look at this proportion: ooooooooooooooooooox. Compare “x” to “o”. It is not worth to bother, use any of them and boost Refined flammables research. I use crude oil, and I'm happy.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Not worth it for the damage, but you can extract some petroleum from the crude instead of burning it directly. On the other hand, turrets so insanely little oil that it doesn't matter.
Also you can easily drain your LO reserves if you supply a long line of turrets. Not so much from the turrets themselves, but the pipes

Pongard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pongard »

Serenity wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:55 am
On the other hand, turrets so insanely little oil that it doesn't matter.
I would quote this as the right answer, I guess it doesn't matter what you use.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

which is why I always use crude: easiest on logistics, can often find a local source, no danger of running out if other processes back up

Return to “Gameplay Help”