How to use Rich text properly

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

How to use Rich text properly

Post by Stimpatch »

Hello guys. Got a Question about best practice of using ingame rich text.

Setting: I want to flg all ingame train stations with a leading Icon corresponding to the stations contend. So, i use a tag like [item=iron-ore]. So far, so good.

Also i know the corresponding wiki pages:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Rich_text and https://wiki.factorio.com/Data.raw

Thing is... how do i look up an item name ingame? Because, if you play with mods, you may want to display an icon from modded contend. How do you find out names for modded contend?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to use Rich text properly

Post by Optera »

Looking up internal names for rich text is a pain, especially when using any locale other than English. This part certainly could be made a lot more user friendly.

Try Luzifers Rich Text Helper https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rich_Text_Helper

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Just shift click whatever you want the tag of when you have the console open and then copy pasta the resulting text from the console.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 am
Just shift click whatever you want the tag of when you have the console open and then copy pasta the resulting text from the console.
YES!..... No. Not very helpful. FNEI sadly does not produce linkable results, and there are many examples you cannot shift click an item (e.g. you want to link a fluid, something you dont have in your inventory, or not yet researched, or craftable in your pocket) I did this for some time, and it helps (as does looking into the wiki and guessing what an item could be) but its far from a good solution, sadly.
Last edited by Stimpatch on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Optera wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 am
Looking up internal names for rich text is a pain, especially when using any locale other than English. This part certainly could be made a lot more user friendly.

Try Luzifers Rich Text Helper https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rich_Text_Helper
will look into that, thx

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Stimpatch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am
there are many examples you cannot shift click an item (e.g. you want to link a fluid, something you [..] not craftable in your pocket) I did this for some time, and it helps (as does looking into the wiki and guessing what an item could be) but its far from a good solution, sadly.
You can link the recipe by shift-clicking the crafting button, which I find quite useful just to remember what I am working on and what ingredients it takes (it shows the tooltips). Yes, it is not a perfect solution, but people tend to miss it completely, so I like to make sure that it is known.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:57 am
You can link the recipe by shift-clicking the crafting button, which I find quite useful just to remember what I am working on and what ingredients it takes (it shows the tooltips). Yes, it is not a perfect solution, but people tend to miss it completely, so I like to make sure that it is known.
I know, and yes that helps out a bit as workaround. Still i wont produce the result i would like to have. Example: If LTN logs a trainroute, i want only the icon to show and not the crafting recipie cluttering the screen.

Perhaps there is already a good solution for this i am not aware of, therefore the question.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

If you enable the "show debug info in tooltip" option in the debug menu (F4) then you see the real entity name.

I have set this up in my debug settings so I can just use F5 to quickly enable and disable the enhanced tooltip if I need to know the exact name.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

How about an "emoji" button on the text tool bar that opens up a GUI which displays all the current icons. Pick an icon and it gets dropped into the text.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

DerGraue wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 am
If you enable the "show debug info in tooltip" option in the debug menu (F4) then you see the real entity name.

I have set this up in my debug settings so I can just use F5 to quickly enable and disable the enhanced tooltip if I need to know the exact name.
This is very helpful, thx.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Fluid richtext is a reoccuring issue. I just posted a command to generate all fluid icons the other day (here).
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:57 am
You can link the recipe by shift-clicking the crafting button,
Is that even remotely moddable for custom GUIs? Maybe something like Player.append_chat() which just doesn't do anything if the player doesn't have chat open?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Gameplay Help”