Broken Train Brakes?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
walterwoj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Broken Train Brakes?

Post by walterwoj »

Am I doing something wrong or do train brakes not work in manual mode? I use 'w' for forward and then press and hold 's' for reverse/stop but it takes for ever to stop. When the train reaches a station it stops very quickly on it's own, but I am not getting anywhere's near that speed manually. Is this a bug/feature or do I have an ID10T error.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Broken Train Brakes?

Post by BHakluyt »

You can't manually brake as fast as when the train goes to a station or a signal change etc. There is braking speed research however which helps improve the situation for manual driving though... Otherwise pressing S should work. Compare going full speed and just releasing all keys on a straight track vs using the S key. You should see a diff...

walterwoj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by walterwoj »

You are right I do see a diff, but why? An engineer on the train/player should be able to stop the train almost as fast as a computer controller could... It just doesn't make sense.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

The way I see it, is the computer controlled braking is faulty/broken and the way it behaves when braking manually is the more correct and realistic way... (The computer can bring that train to a dead stop in a meter and that's just not very realistic...) But you're right it's confusing and unclear why the behavior is like that. Hopefully it also gets onto the polish list before 1.0 gets released.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

To help compare you could try turning on the icons for train stopping distance. I always keep them on as a warning for 300kph trains...

show-train-braking-distance The distance a train will take to stop at its current speed

and

show-train-stop-point When a train slows down it shows the calculated point where it should halt

https://wiki.factorio.com/Debug_mode
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

Computer controlled trains start braking at the right location to come to a complete stop where they need to (signal/station).
I would be surprised if it was any better or worse than manual, but it will be going fast for a while before the slowing is noticeable.
People tend to slow early, and then creep forward to the right stopping point, so the computer looks like it has better braking.

The mod Honk (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Honk) helps show that if you watch when the train signals a stop it's actually fairly far out.

Return to “Gameplay Help”