Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
alidayvn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Post by alidayvn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:22 am

Right now, the only limiting factor for the size of my factory are FPS. I already have a high-end CPU, but nevertheless, I am down to 6 FPS. While everything til 10 FPS felt still playable, 6 FPS really no longer feels comfortable. Therefore, the question for this thread would be:

How can I raise the FPS of a factory? Which designs take less computational power per produced item? Bot? Trains? Belts? What else is a big CPU hog?

Xelephant
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Post by Xelephant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:14 am

If you reached the maximun your PC can render (FPS) there is nothing you can do to improve FPS Gamewise. If your low UPS causes your FPS to drop you can optimize your Factory to some extend to squeeze some extras UPS out. That depends heavely on how optimized for UPS your Factory already is.

Active Biters (Patfinding) use a lot of UPS
Updating the Pollution Cloud cost soem UPS

Not Sure if these still apply:
undergroundbelts are ups friendlier than overground
Full Belts draw less UPS
Big Fluid Systems (Nuklear Reactor) cost UPS (Solarfields is best here)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:34 am

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help.

Underground belts are not mandatory now, there has been a lot of optimization.
Solar power is indeed free ups wise

And on top of what Xelephant listed :

Disconnecting parts of the factory from the electric network (with switches for example) actually is bad for UPS. Entity with starved output goes to sleep mode and consumes no CPU. Entity with no power doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, you should only shut parts of your factory off when output backs up, not by starving input.

The most efficient electric network is a BIG network powered by solar with everithing connected to it. Many small networks are heavier CPU wise.

Robots take less ups than inserters.

Train pathing does use some CPU. If your train network has lots of smallish trains, consider migrating into fewer BIG trains where it makes sense.

Also some mods are very heavy on UPS. Typically the big warehouses with 100s of slots of storage.

For more precise answers, I advise you to :
1) post your factory here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17501. Old topic, but might still interest the devs to find optimization opportunities.
2) Post a screenshot of your advanced info activated in the debug menu (F4 IIRC).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 am

How about inserters vs loaders?
Assembling machines vs furnaces?

It's looks like here must be some UPS friendly mod, that changes size of all chests to the only one slot, but is two one-slot-chests better than one two slots chest? With inserters, with two different items.

I don't know how, but with the mod PXL https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PXL/discu ... 000df87390 the UPS was something better than without.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 am

darkfrei wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 am
How about inserters vs loaders?
Probably not : viewtopic.php?f=49&t=43627

On a second thought, you could also make use of the previous threads on the same topic :
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=74482
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=74792
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64679
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Gameplay Help”