How to measure the use of power plants?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Glad_S
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How to measure the use of power plants?

Post by Glad_S »

Do you have any idea how to measure the utilization (%) of available power output during the game? When i have steam turbine (5,82 MW) but the consumption is only 2 MW? How to show this rate (2/5,82*100 = 34%)?

I want to use it to warn of impending power plant maximum power. I can easily enter the maximum power by the number of turbines, but actually consumption?

What I came up with is that I can make a battery pack that will keep my peak in consumption, but I'd like to know that I'm approaching 90% of the power so I can increase the power.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to measure the use of power plants?

Post by BlueTemplar »

Use a buffer and a warning when it gets low (which can indicate either too low input or too high output - and in both cases your assistance is probably going to be required...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to measure the use of power plants?

Post by mmmPI »

Glad_S wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:26 am
Do you have any idea how to measure the utilization (%) of available power output during the game? When i have steam turbine (5,82 MW) but the consumption is only 2 MW? How to show this rate (2/5,82*100 = 34%)?

I want to use it to warn of impending power plant maximum power. I can easily enter the maximum power by the number of turbines, but actually consumption?

What I came up with is that I can make a battery pack that will keep my peak in consumption, but I'd like to know that I'm approaching 90% of the power so I can increase the power.
I don't think there is a way to show the 34% or the 90% in the base in a usable way for wiring logic.

One trick you can do is to only use one single accumulator in your main network, and wire a from it to a speaker for an alarm when it's not 100%. This assuming the power consumption is not perfectly smooth, should tell you beforehand when maximum capacity is reached or close.

That would complicate using other battery during peek, you would need to "hide" them behind a power switche in an isolated network.

The plus side is that power switches can be toggled on/off using wire but also in map view , so you don't need to come up with an automatic design or move too much for later "intervention".

Return to “Gameplay Help”