NEED HELP: B&A - Rebuilding the base to be UPS friendly.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

NEED HELP: B&A - Rebuilding the base to be UPS friendly.

Post by batorfly »

Hello, i encountered a obstacle, my hardware. So in multiplayer playing with my friend (he is the host, and has good pc, i have a laptop with i7 2620M 2.70) on big 170+ hours Bobs & Anglels base i would get 5FPS/~50UPS. First solution: lover game speed to 0.8. But we are currently at 0.7 or even 0.6 to achieve stability on my end. It will be worse as the base grows. :( I suppose Even if i would play solo it will be unplayable at some point.

I am ready to completly rebuild my base, but i need to know how to do that to achieve MegaBase numbers without melting that one poor core of My CPU :P

There are the obvious things i know
1: B&A are fluid-heavy, so more barrels, less pipes, also go solar instead of nuclear.
2. More beacons everywhere - less overall entities
3. Biters, i erased them some time ago with the help of console, i imagine adding big quantities of biters (Rampant) won't help
But i want to know more, like: we use bulk rail loaders everywhere - Is it bad for UPS bc of warehouse type entity? Are other mods we have are bad for UPS? Did we revealed too much map with BigBrother radars?
ATM most of the trains are 1+1, it works in the B&A world... OFC i'm going to switch to bigger ones.

Mod List:
Afraid Of the Dark
Aircraft
Ammo Loader
Angel's Addons - Warehouses
Angel's Bio processing
Angel's Petro Chemical Processing
Angel's Refining
Angel's Smelting
Automatic Train Fuel Stop
Beautiful Bridge Railway
Big Brother
Big Brother Bob's Plugin
All of the Bob's Mods (with exception of Revamp)
Bottleneck
Bulk Rail Loader
Crafting Speed Research
Dectorio
Disco Science
Even Distribution
Factorio Standard library
Factorissimo2 (unused)
Fill4Me
FNEI
Helmod
Infinite Invertory Research
Long Reach
Miniloader
Nanobots
Natural Evolution Enemies
Orbital Ion Cannon
Pressurized Fluids
Quarry
Rampant
ShinyAngelGFX
ShinyBobGFX
Squeak Through
Vehicle Snap
Void Chest+

Time usage And GPU time usage:
https://i.imgur.com/6YFWJxY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/96L2LEb.jpg

Save:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gAupv4 ... sp=sharing

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: NEED HELP: B&A - Rebuilding the base to be UPS friendly.

Post by Adamo »

batorfly wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 pm
But i want to know more, like: we use bulk rail loaders everywhere - Is it bad for UPS bc of warehouse type entity? Are other mods we have are bad for UPS? Did we revealed too much map with BigBrother radars?

Bulk Rail Loader
Miniloader
Rampant

Time usage And GPU time usage:
https://i.imgur.com/6YFWJxY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/96L2LEb.jpg

Save:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gAupv4 ... sp=sharing
The scripting time usage is less that 1.0 in your readout, which is honestly not very high. I'm not seeing Bulk Rail Loader in your time usage list, but as there is no internal engine code I know of that can directly transfer items into a train wagon (loaders cannot even do this to train wagons), I suspect that the control code for that mod might be heavy. Miniloaders, as I understand it, are not heavy, because they are actually just disguised inserters, which are optimized. Rampant is clearly using some CPU usage in your list, but not a huge amount, however, I would bet it does get heavy sometimes, and this says its max value has been 1.5, which is high. Bottleneck is using the most CPU in your snapshot, and I've seen it get up to around 0.8 in very large bases, but we still keep it around over other mods because it's so useful. However, it says here that bottleneck has gone up to nearly 20, which is extraordinarily high. FuelTrainStop reports that it can get very high (over 8.0) but is at 0.0 now and usually at 0, so it's just providing jumps here and there. With your current and average script usage at less than 1.0, and if it averages around that with only temporary jumps here and there, I don't think you're going to be able to do much to reduce that beyond "don't use any mods with a control code", because just a few will push it up to that range in a large base.

The entity update is by far the highest thing in your list. It is quite huge; more than half of your total CPU usage. In comparison, the mod scripts are using about 10% of what the entity update is using. This map must have a lot of entities. I'm not sure how you could get around that beyond the ideas you've already mentioned.

So, the biggest candidates for removal I see are "bottleneck", "rail bulk loader", and "rampant", but again, I'm not sure removing them is going to help all that much. Removing or reducing the load of bottleneck has the greatest potential to help. If I remember correctly, you can turn down the number of entities that bottleneck checks every tick. Maybe cut that down to about 20% of the current value to see if that helps.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Thanks for the reply. That's reeealy useful.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Radars you use are definitelly a problem, they take up maybe 50% of the update time. I haven't checked how they are configured, but I suspect they rescan nearby area every tick, which makes them slow. Vanilla radars rescan their close range radius every 50 ticks, which helps to spread the load of multiple radars over time.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

posila wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 pm
Radars you use are definitelly a problem, they take up maybe 50% of the update time. I haven't checked how they are configured, but I suspect they rescan nearby area every tick, which makes them slow. Vanilla radars rescan their close range radius every 50 ticks, which helps to spread the load of multiple radars over time.
Thank you so much, for taking your precious time to check my base.
I thought about that, bad combination: more powerful high tier Bob's radars + radars enhancer Big Brother mod.
It must be really too much as i have maybe 8 radars.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

- Have you tried removing Fish ?
- If your FPS is tanking, the obvious thing to try is to lower the graphic setting, starting with the game resolution (depending on your screen size).
It might help by freeing the CPU a bit more. Especially if you're using the integrated Intel GPU and its heat is making the CPU throttle...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:55 am
- Have you tried removing Fish ?
- If your FPS is tanking, the obvious thing to try is to lower the graphic setting, starting with the game resolution (depending on your screen size).
It might help by freeing the CPU a bit more. Especially if you're using the integrated Intel GPU and its heat is making the CPU throttle...
Yass i need to do that. I thought about it at some point.

About FPS- it's actually a UPS problem. My client can't keep up with the server so it skips frames. If i play alone FPS is perfectly fine, never lover than UPS. I have a dedicated GPU.
Zavian wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 am
Multiplayer Factorio is a lockstep simulations. Both clients and the server execute the exact same simulation, and only game inputs are transmitted over the network. It sound like the client is having trouble keeping up with the server.

(The client needs to keep up, otherwise the server will start rejecting inputs as being too old, the player will find it impossible to move, and eventually the server will disconnect the client. So the client will skip rendering so frames to save cpu cycles in an effort to keep up with the server).

The normal fix is to slowdown the game using commands.

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 0.8 
(That might need to be typed twice, and will disable achievements).

Alternatively you can try using the slowest computer as the server. (If the clients are faster than the server, then the game will just naturally slowdown, in the same manner as in single player).

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68653 for more info and what info to provide if you still have problems.

Return to “Gameplay Help”