Getting item stuck in cursor

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Getting item stuck in cursor

Post by mudcrabempire »

I don't know what update it was, but there was an update, some time ago that made your inventory reserve a space whenever you take something out of it, so you can always put it back and free your cursor.

It's not foolproof though, I just found a way to still get stuck with a full inventory and a full cursor:
1. Fill your inventory.
2. Open a chest and take an item.
3. Walk away from the chest, with the item still in your cursor.

I guess it's a minor issue, but I thought it's worth pointing out. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to counter: Just make chests also reserve a space whenever you take something out of them, and if you walk out of range of the chest with the item still in your cursor, the item automatically gets returned to the chest.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Getting item stuck in cursor

Post by Rseding91 »

It's not meant to be foolproof.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:35 am
It's not meant to be foolproof.
Few things ever are. It is practically never a problem for me. The thought just occurred to me and I wanted to see if I can screw myself - it worked. I thought it was funny and good-to-know, so I posted it here.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

mudcrabempire wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:22 pm
I guess it's a minor issue, but I thought it's worth pointing out. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to counter: Just make chests also reserve a space whenever you take something out of them, and if you walk out of range of the chest with the item still in your cursor, the item automatically gets returned to the chest.
Some days ago, my inventory (including trash slots) was full and I wanted to place a couple of assembling machines I had in a chest. Rather than putting down another chest and dropping my inventory inside it, I just took the assemblers and carried them inside my cursor to the other end of my (still small) base. It would have been quite a nuisance if the assemblers had been returned to the chest after I'd gone just a few steps! Reminds me of this:-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mudcrabempire wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:22 pm
I don't know what update it was, but there was an update, some time ago that made your inventory reserve a space whenever you take something out of it, so you can always put it back and free your cursor.

It's not foolproof though, I just found a way to still get stuck with a full inventory and a full cursor:
1. Fill your inventory.
2. Open a chest and take an item.
3. Walk away from the chest, with the item still in your cursor.

I like your solution but for a different problem. When you pick something up with no space in your inventory then you are stuck with it until you put it back. You know where you got it from so go and put it back there. No automatism needed I think.

But if you pick something from a chest inventory then inserters and loaders will fill up the chest and you can't put it back again. That's when you get truly stuck with items in your hand. So it would be good to keep the slot in the chest inventory blocked when you pick something up right until the inventory is closed. Close it and the slot is free for all. This should also apply to input and output slots in assemblers and furnaces.

Look at it this way: taking items in hand should work like the tool bar. It's just a link to the actual inventory slot the item resides in. With a special case for when you walk out of range of the inventory.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am
Look at it this way: taking items in hand should work like the tool bar. It's just a link to the actual inventory slot the item resides in. With a special case for when you walk out of range of the inventory.
Absolutely no - never - not in a million years. That is a terrible idea and exactly how Minecraft does it with its cursor. Go ask anyone if they like it when they close a GUI in Minecraft and the item(s) they're interacting with fall on the floor.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Would it make sense to add such an item into a virtual inventory slot the player can't interact with, so that the player's not blocked with an item in the cursor, and the virtual slot fills the first real inventory slot that frees itself ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Koub wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 pm
Would it make sense to add such an item into a virtual inventory slot the player can't interact with, so that the player's not blocked with an item in the cursor, and the virtual slot fills the first real inventory slot that frees itself ?
No. The entire topic needs to just stop existing and people go back to playing the game and having fun.

This is not a solvable "thing" and all talking about it does is add in more edge case things which make the code more fragile and buggy.

We've left the realm of "the game is not playable because of this thing" and now people are nit-picking things which they should just ignore. Be happy the game is what it is.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm
Koub wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 pm
No. The entire topic needs to just stop existing and people go back to playing the game and having fun.

This is not a solvable "thing" and all talking about it does is add in more edge case things which make the code more fragile and buggy.

We've left the realm of "the game is not playable because of this thing" and now people are nit-picking things which they should just ignore. Be happy the game is what it is.
What a remarkably unprofessional response. Have things really devolved so much that any discussion will come down to "If you don't like it, shut up and leave"?

You best do yourself a favour and shut down the forums right now if that's the case. People have things to discuss and here's the place they discuss it. OP isn't yanking your collar to enforce any change, since all you had to say was "Sorry, this isn't possible without introducing more bugs". Simple, clean, and doesn't make you come across as an asshole.

All he did was bring up something on his mind to spur some discussion around it. Heaven forbid anyone in the community talk about something they aren't fond of. It seems it's time for the dev team to take a vacation before turning on the community further and eventually restoring to grade school insults because people say things they don't like.

Simply remarkable.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Most topics warrant discussion and thought. This is not one of those topics. This is one of those topics that has come up multiple times and always has the same conclusion: it's not going to happen and would be a terrible idea in all regards.

So, I'm attempting to shut it down permanently so everyone knows when they come across it in the future there is no possibility of it happening and that they should focus their discussions and creative energy on other things.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Light wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Have things really devolved so much that any discussion will come down to "If you don't like it, shut up and leave"?
No.

If you're trying to connect this to recent events, I can tell you fairly certainly that there is no connection.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm
No. The entire topic needs to just stop existing [...].

[Koub] OK fine with me. I'm locking the thread : I don't want this to become yet another controversy.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Gameplay Help”