Power Switch BP??

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Power Switch BP??

Post by adam_bise »

I made a blueprint of some power switches but when I went to use it, the wires were all messed up.

You can see in the pic this is how it was supposed to be.
psw.png
psw.png (112.34 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
But this is what I got..
psw1.png
psw1.png (523.64 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
What am I missing here? The blueprint serves no point if I have to manually fix the connections each time.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Power Switch BP??

Post by eradicator »

You're not missing anything. Blueprints can not store copper wire connections between poles. The only thing you can do is place the poles so far from another that they don't automatically connect.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Well that is disappointing. I guess the BP pic led me to believe the connections were retained.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

adam_bise wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:41 pm
Well that is disappointing. I guess the BP pic led me to believe the connections were retained.
Connections are retained, as you can see by the fact that all the switches are connected to their respective power poles. It is the disconnections that are not retained. This is constantly happening to me, and I wish it weren't this way because my OCD hates laying out a power grid, only to blueprint it and it gets all messed up and looks like crap.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

The wires between poles and switches ARE saved in the blueprint and used. It's wires from poles to poles that don't connect like in the blueprint.
Pretty much anything you want to do with wires in blueprints can be worked around with knowledge of how to use the poles. Wires from switches weren't saved in blueprints when switches were initially introduced but now you can do cool stuff with them.
Since I've made several posts regarding this topic I have some starting points that you can use to learn how to not connect poles:
Perfect 0~drain Laser: Blueprintable and Chunky!
Power network rate limiter
Minimal Autonomous Radar Setup DaveMcW
csduff wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:59 pm
It is the disconnections that are not retained. This is constantly happening to me, and I wish it weren't this way because my OCD hates laying out a power grid, only to blueprint it and it gets all messed up and looks like crap.
Also Gandalf makes wires a bit neater.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@csduff. Please read carefully what i said.
eradicator wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:23 pm
Blueprints can not store copper wire connections between poles.
Also i just had a really cool idea for a workaround. But power-switches can't be directly connected to each other, so there goes that :p.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

eradicator wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pm
@csduff. Please read carefully what i said.
eradicator wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:23 pm
Blueprints can not store copper wire connections between poles.
Also i just had a really cool idea for a workaround. But power-switches can't be directly connected to each other, so there goes that :p.
I was responding to adam_bise's post, as he did not mention poles specifically, and his post read that connections were note retained. I was merely clarifying that the connection from pole to switch were retained, and manually disconnected poles were not.

Return to “Gameplay Help”