Option to include entities / tiles / trains / station names in copy&paste

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Option to include entities / tiles / trains / station names in copy&paste

Post by mrvn »

TL;DR
The copy&paste shortcuts should allow toggling the options to include entities, tiles, trains and station names.
What ?
When making a blueprint one can enable or disable entities, tiles, trains and station names. This should also be possible with the copy&paste shortcuts.

The way I imagine this is that one takes a temp blueprint using ctrl-x or ctrl-c as before. Then when the blueprint is shown 4 buttons appear somewhere ad the edge of the screen for the 4 blueprint toggles: entities, tiles, trains and station names. The blueprint would include everything but the 4 buttons dictate what is shown and pasted when placed.

Note: This could apply to any blueprint with those options not present in the blueprint disabled in the GUI.
Why ?
When I'm playing with the SeaBlock mod anything new to build first requires landfill to be placed. That means any blueprint should have tiles included so it can be shift-placed to add ghosted landfill first and then later placed again to actually build the stuff. This often means the copy&paste shortcut can't be used.

When playing with the Logistic Train Network mod having stations with the same name other than Depots is an error and deactivates the stations with the duplicate name. That means after a cut&paste both the original and new stations stop working till one goes around and renames on of each. In that case it would be nicer to create new names for every pasted station like a blueprint does when station names are disabled.

Note: Even better would be something to add/increment a number to each station name. So when I copy&paste "Smelter" it becomes "Smelter 2", copy it again and it becomes "Smelter 3" and so on.

Again when playing with LTN when I copy&paste a depot it would be nice to optionally include the trains.

When I build a road network for faster travel (e.g. stone paths) then it would be nice to copy&paste just the road. Ignoring all the buildings around the road.

Overall I can think of examples for any of the blueprint toggles to apply to a copy&paste job.

BaggyK
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Option to include entities / tiles / trains / station names in copy&paste

Post by BaggyK »

Hold down shift when selecting the area to cut or copy. This will then allow editing of the copy selection as if it was a blueprint which includes allowing entities/times/trains/station names if appropriate.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Thanks, one learns something new every game.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

BaggyK wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:43 pm
Hold down shift when selecting the area to cut or copy. This will then allow editing of the copy selection as if it was a blueprint which includes allowing entities/times/trains/station names if appropriate.
Can someone confirm that this is expected to work with cut as well as with copy? If I shift while selecting to copy, the selection rectangle changes from white to blue, and a temporary blueprint pops up afterwards. If I shift while selecting to cut, the selection rectangle changes from white to red, and ... nothing happens; I don't get the chance to edit a temporary blueprint.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Only works this way with copy. with cut you can place the blueprint on your shortcut bar, and then edit the blueprint. delete after use .

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

disentius wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am
Only works this way with copy. with cut you can place the blueprint on your shortcut bar, and then edit the blueprint. delete after use .
Sure, but you can do that without shifting. As it stands, the effect of shift on cut is purely cosmetic, which is surely not the intention. Since it's not just me, I think I shall escalate to a bug report.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Khagan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 am
disentius wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am
Sure, but you can do that without shifting. As it stands, the effect of shift on cut is purely cosmetic, which is surely not the intention. Since it's not just me, I think I shall escalate to a bug report.
Fun fact: If I shift+cut in v1.0.0 the selection rectangle turns from red to yellow and I do get the blueprint edit window. However it doesn't actually cut anything and thus behaves equivalent to shift+copy.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Laie
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Laie »

Not trying to hijack this, but a quick interjection: it's possible to copy whole trains? Or is that a mod thing?

I know how to copy a train's color and schedule, but I'm placing the trains themselves one item at a time: loco, cart, cart, cart...
I'd very much like to know how to copy-paste a whole train.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Laie wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 pm
Not trying to hijack this, but a quick interjection: it's possible to copy whole trains? Or is that a mod thing?

I know how to copy a train's color and schedule, but I'm placing the trains themselves one item at a time: loco, cart, cart, cart...
I'd very much like to know how to copy-paste a whole train.
There's a checkbox in the blueprint setup to include trains, same as tiles and train stop names.

Return to “Gameplay Help”