Worms spawn too close to player built structures

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DeCristoforis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Worms spawn too close to player built structures

Post by DeCristoforis »

Worms can spawn too close to my perimeter defense (less than behemoths shoot range, but far than turrets range). Behemoth worms suddenly spawn, wipe out perimeter defense and I don't have time to get to that hot spot. Is this "as designed" or a bug?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Worms spawn too close to player built structures

Post by Koub »

What are your map settings ? Are you playing modded or vanilla ? Maybe you can add a save ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

This has happened to me already once in 0.16 when big worms slightly out ranged laser turrets. It was of course very rare. But it is not a bug. A new base spawns near your defenses, that includes big and now even behemoth worms and because of the vastly increased shooting distance they can target your defensive structures. This will happen quite often with the current state of the game because behemoth worms shoot about 20? tiles farther than your laser turrets.

It gets even worse. Because of the splash damage the turrets do not just destroy the turrets in range, they also hit the construction bots trying to repair the damage. Since that takes usually 2 shots, the bots also die quickly.

I bet this behavior is not intended and just an oversight of what would happen if the worms have this extreme range and deal splash damage.
Also I really would like to know the intention of this design choice.

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durentis »

Doesn't this just force artillery? I don't see how that's a bad thing.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Durentis wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 pm
Doesn't this just force artillery? I don't see how that's a bad thing.
IMHO, giving the biters a bit of siege capability to crack the player's defenses towards the end of the mid game in the form of the behemoth worms seems like a pretty good idea to me. It's really pretty much their last chance to take out the player as it really shouldn't be very much longer before all the high tier military tech make the base totally impregnable.

I haven't quite hit this stage in my own 0.17 factory yet though so my opinion might change.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

DeCristoforis wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 pm
Worms can spawn too close to my perimeter defense (less than behemoths shoot range, but far than turrets range). Behemoth worms suddenly spawn, wipe out perimeter defense and I don't have time to get to that hot spot. Is this "as designed" or a bug?
It's always been that way. Get artillery defenses up when you can. They keep the biters from settling in close.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Dune wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:32 am
It's always been that way. Get artillery defenses up when you can. They keep the biters from settling in close.
Well, always in 0.17. Not in previous versions.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

DeCristoforis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeCristoforis »

Koub wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 pm
What are your map settings ? Are you playing modded or vanilla ? Maybe you can add a save ?
I play vanilla game.
Here is autosave (can't upload 25 MB file right here) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q9tei3vf8weu ... 1.zip?dl=0.
One behemoth worm will suddenly spawn after about 1 minute right on 2.6M copper patch near wall at south-western region of the map. This point is clearly visible because of turrets nearby and you can spot a moment of spawning.

DeCristoforis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeCristoforis »

Dune wrote:
At present this is the only solution :)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

IMHO, if you've reached 90+% evolution, and let expansion parties settle near your base, AND don't want to invest in artillery - then you have it coming.

Even more so, Behemoth worms should have the same range as the automatic range of un-upgraded artillery !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:37 am
Dune wrote:
Well, always in 0.17. Not in previous versions.
In 0.16 I'd have worms plop down and start spitting at laser turrets, but the turrets were unable to fire back.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Really? Weird. I have a 0.16 base which is nearly the size of the full zoom out in map mode. It is entirely surrounded by walls with lasers and that has never happened. I'm not saying it can't happen, but since it hasn't to me in that 1600+ hour game I'd have to say the odds of it happening are pretty low.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

DeCristoforis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeCristoforis »

In my save you can take a view of the exact moment of spawning and consequent destroying of my perimeter defense. It’s funny ))

Now I run special killer-train, that takes artillery shells at the factory and roams around my wall wiping out biter bases.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

DeCristoforis wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:28 pm
In my save you can take a view of the exact moment of spawning and consequent destroying of my perimeter defense. It’s funny ))

Now I run special killer-train, that takes artillery shells at the factory and roams around my wall wiping out biter bases.
That's exactly what artillery is made for!

Return to “Gameplay Help”