Can I cheat to grant myself 2 technologies at game start?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Can I cheat to grant myself 2 technologies at game start?

Post by Peter34 »

I'd like to have the ability to make Steel and Medium Power Poles right from the beginning, since the Small Power Poles really, really annoy me. Or at least start with a bunch of them.

Is there a way to do that? Or rather, I imagine there is, what is the easiest way of doing it?

I tried looking for console commands, but couldn't find a "grant tech" one. I know I can start in map editor mode, keep restarting until I find a map I like, then edit the map to add 20-30 Medium Poles around my character, then save the "scenario". Then when I actually play it, I pick up those poles. If I also add 5-6 Large ones, then that ought to tide me over, until I legitimately research Steel and Transmission, without me needing to "hack" the game via console or mods.

But if there is a console command to grant tech, that would be nicer.

Or how do I mode the starting gear? The game is set up to give the player certain items when a normal game is started. I seem to recall that it's a simple Axe and 8 Iron Plates (although in a map editor-created scenario, you start with nothing by default). Is it possible for me to edit some game files so that my character always starts with some larger Poles? If yes, what i the file, and what do I need to edit it, will Notepad suffice or do I need more advanced stuff? Or is there a console command to grant stuff?

If this is the wrong sub-forum for this kind of question, then please inform me of where I should have posted it...

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Can I cheat to grant myself 2 technologies at game start

Post by Xecutor »

to enable technologies:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.technologies['electric-energy-distribution-1'].researched=true
/c game.player.force.technologies['steel-processing'].researched=true
to give yourself some medium electric poles:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.character.getinventory(1).insert{name='medium-electric-pole',count=100}
if you are playing in version earlier than 0.11.x, then remove /c.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Peter34 wrote:I tried looking for console commands, but couldn't find a "grant tech" one. I know I can start in map editor mode, keep restarting until I find a map I like, then edit the map to add 20-30 Medium Poles around my character, then save the "scenario". Then when I actually play it, I pick up those poles. If I also add 5-6 Large ones, then that ought to tide me over, until I legitimately research Steel and Transmission, without me needing to "hack" the game via console or mods.
You can simplify this part if you want. You can use the map editor to place items directly into the player inventory, toolbar, or equipped weapon/ammo/armor slots. If you want to give yourself bigger quantities of stuff, or simply don't want it all in the player inventory, then you can place chests on the ground and add items directly to those (just make sure you put them out of the way of where you think you might be building things later).

I use this method myself since I really hate using small electric poles that clutter up my factory and need to be swapped out later on, so I just gift myself some medium or better poles. Just be careful how much of this that you do as the power of the map editor can really affect your gameplay if you take it too far.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks, but the console command is actually quicker, since I can copy/paste it into the game.

Only problem was having to go into the game's settings and re-configure the keypress to bring up the console, since in my install it said "key60" which I don't know what is, and anyway non-alphabetic keypresses are often wonky or oddly-behaved on non-English keyboard layouts, so it's very good that it can be reconfigured (I just use the key to the left of the "1", below the Escape key, since that's what I'm used to using hen calling up the console in other games, or at least in Skyrim).

As for using his cheat, it is indeed very nice to be able to start the game with 100 poles (that's what I named my savegame - something with 100 poles), both in not having to find and cut down a lot of trees, and also because each pole cover a larger area. I did find myself using a lot (after an hour or so of playing, I had used 2/3), so next time I'll make it 200 just to be sure.

But what is the exact console term for the iron chests? I'd like to start with some of those too, so that I'll be completely free from having to chop wood...

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I decided to just try the most obvious guess, "iron-chest", and that worked.

Return to “Gameplay Help”