[0.17.1] Can't modify quickbar through inventory

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
avaspell
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.1] Can't modify quickbar through inventory

Post by avaspell »

So, just starting a freeplay in .17, in .16 the quickbar included my starting inventory I could reference quickly to build. I see 2 problems here:

- The game doesn't start with a Burner Miner and Furnance in the quickbar filter. Why not? Other than mining trees that's really the first 2 actions I do.
- I can't seem to find a way to add an item to my quickbar filter through my inventory. It seems intuitive that some sort of CTL-click or Shift-Click behavior when NOT at an item exchange point like a chest would auto-add the item to my filter, so I don't have to browse at a big pile of stuff I don't have.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.1] Can't modify quickbar through inventory

Post by Mr. Tact »

avaspell wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 am
- I can't seem to find a way to add an item to my quickbar filter through my inventory.
You mean other than taking an item in your inventory and clicking it onto the quickbar?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

avaspell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by avaspell »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:39 am
avaspell wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 am
- I can't seem to find a way to add an item to my quickbar filter through my inventory.
You mean other than taking an item in your inventory and clicking it onto the quickbar?
Now, while at the same time I feel a bit stupid, at the same time I don't.

Having learned all kinds of motion behaviors playing factorio, one that I have gotten trained on pretty well is the thought of having most manipulation only involve a single 2 handed operation. I use the first motion to deal with inventory, and the second for actual item placement. I actually had to go back and really ask myself, "even though I _could_ move a batch of inserters one icon at a time between my inventory and a chest, do I ever _actually_ do that"? And the answer is actually no, I'm ALWAYS Ctl-Clicking. Which is why generated this post: I couldn't find a combination of keypress and a mouse action that actually did it, because that's a single macro operation to me. The extra move and click feels like a _totally separate_ action, not a way to complete this one.

So, my revised question, is there a shortcut operation that let's me do it? I can't find it, even on keybindings. :)

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Surely the absurdity of forcing wasted motion for setting up and using the quickbar has to have occurred to _someone_.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Well, there was never a hot key to do it before, so it is not surprising there isn't one now. It is just that before the quickbar slots were also inventory slots, and now they aren't. It would seem what you really want is for the quickbar to automatically set any item you pickup into the first available quickbar slot. Not an unreasonable request seeing as that is the behavior the game has had for a LONG time. Perhaps they could do this with a configuration option to enable/disable that action...

Elysium7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elysium7 »

Perhaps I should of started a new thread, but this is kind of the same topic. After spending an hour or so catching up on the 0.17 news I was excited to jump into game and did just that. The very first thing I noticed is how cumbersome it felt designating my quickbar with items from my inventory by dragging them with the mouse. This really wasn't much of an issue in previous versions as I recall being able to shift click (or some combination of keys and clicks) to easily send items into my quickbar. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the direction the quickbar is going, but there really should be an easier way to do this. I understand that you really only need to do this once for the most part, but at the same time it doesn't feel good and this could potentially make inventory management more tedious in the long run, and I think one of the goals of the new quickbar is the opposite of that.

A purposed solution could be that while hovering over an item in your inventory with your cursor, pressing a number key will copy that item to the corresponding active quickbar slot. If the slot is already filled, perhaps using some modifier key like control + number will overwrite the current item to prevent accidental overwrites. Minecraft uses a similar system as a lot of you may know, it works really well and saves time. I can't really think of any situation where you would want to select something from your quickbar while hovering over items in your inventory. I also don't know how difficult this would be to implement or what issues it may cause. Maybe I just need to get used to it but I really do feel like there is room for a quality of life improvement here, I'm just not exactly sure how to approach it.

Loving 0.17 so far, much respect!

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Elysium7 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:44 am
...This really wasn't much of an issue in previous versions as I recall being able to shift click (or some combination of keys and clicks) to easily send items into my quickbar...
Good point, I had forgotten about that since I didn't use that capability often. But yeah, the interaction between your inventory and the quickbar was previously similar to having a chest open. If you shift left clicked a stack in your inventory it would move to the quickbar if there was an open, unassigned slot. Even when your inventory wasn't open, you could shift left click a quickbar slot into the inventory emptying the quickbar slot. Again, these actives are the result of the quickbar having previously been actual inventory slots whereas now they are not. *shrug*

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Regardless, you used to be able to populate and maintain your quickbar with shift-clickclickclickclickcllick and what's on offer now as a substitute is, um, difficult to describe accurately in a form fit for constructive conversation. Abstract explanations for a concrete failure leave us with a concrete failure and a lot of words. Setting up and using the quickbar might have slightly different consequences now that it's (again? anyway, imo certainly properly) not a separate inventory, but that's no excuse for making things like "put this on the quickbar" so unutterably clumsy.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

You can middle-click a quick bar slot and select an item there from all the non "hidden" items. It would be nice however if it contained the initial items, or maybe even I could save it for a new game.

You can also filter player inventory slots with middle click.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

After playing 0.17 a bit more and thinking about it some, I believe it would make sense, and would be reasonable to revert the action of shift right clicking an item in your inventory to the first open and unreserved quickbar slot. Currently there is no other functionality for that action and I can't see any down side to doing so.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I tried hovering over inventory slots and hitting some numbers. Shift 12345, ctrl 12345, alt 12345. Dang it!

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:43 am
Well, there was never a hot key to do it before, so it is not surprising there isn't one now.
Sometimes when you shift-clicked an item in your inventory and there was an empty slot in your hotbar, the stack would move into your hotbar.

I never really understood the logic behind when it did and didn't happen, so it was mostly confusing.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I never really understood the logic behind when it did and didn't happen, so it was mostly confusing.
It had something to do if the item can be equipped, or used, or...

actually I never figured it out. I just roll the dice every time.

Return to “Gameplay Help”