any optimal limit of bots served area or amount?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

any optimal limit of bots served area or amount?

Post by Dixi »

When I have 10-20-30 roboports and hundreds, maybe thousand of bots flying around them, serving some dedicated not big factory, like red engines production, or yellow bottles, every thing works perfectly.

But when I build some big structure covered by one drone area, like big ore to steel plant (11k steel/min), or full cycle green chip factory near iron/copper deposit (described later), that area need a lot of drones (4000-6000) and 100+ roboports.

1st time I noticed described above situation in following design.
I have a green chip factory that is located between rather big copper and iron deposits.
8 speed-3 beacons per factory, productivity-3 inside factories.
It produce about 53k green chips per minute.
206 roboports, 6300 flying bots (usually about 4500-5500 bots busy).
Adding a few more green chips factories usually leads to zero free bots, and could be solved only by adding some more roboports. Adding a few more hundreds of bots does not help much.

Whole base is build as separate specialized factories served by dedicated roboports areas, and supplied by trains.

I have feeling that it uses too much bots/roboports related to it's size, compared to other separate production areas where about 2k bot's and less amount of roboports usually enough.

I wonder, it it too big in whole, so bots fly too far on average trip?
If I split it to 3 separate areas:
1. green chips
2. copper mining & smelting
3. iron mining & smelting
with requester-stack inserter-passive provider on borders, will it be more effective? Or no?

In other words: is it effective enough to build big drone area, feed it with tens of thousands of drones, or it's more optimal to split that big area to several smaller drone areas?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: any optimal limit of bots served area or amount?

Post by Frightning »

afaik, modularizing the logistics robots is more efficient, not only for practical reasons, but for game performance reasons too. I seem to recall the devs stating that the algorithm for assigning jobs to logistics robots grows roughly n^3 relative to number of active bots within a given logistics area.

Return to “Gameplay Help”