Solar/Nuclear/Steam energy

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Solar/Nuclear/Steam energy

Post by je11693 »

Hi guys, how do I calculate the correct ratio of solar panels to accumulators to put in an array and is it enough to just put the accumulators next to the panels and connect to the main grid and then the accumulators will store and release the electricity as needed?

Also, what do you like to use as an energy source as you progress through your playthroughs? Do you continue to rely on coal and steam for energy, or do you use nuclear or solar as your main energy source?

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Solar/Nuclear/Steam energy

Post by Mr. Tact »

I believe the ratio is still .84 accumulator to solar panel. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :mrgreen:

All the accumulators and solar panels need to be connected to the power grid. They don't need to be near each other.

Personally, I go from steam power to solar and stick with it. It is just easier. However it is just a matter of taste and personal preference.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you want to build a megabase, solar + accumulators are essentially free from a UPS perspective.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

Thanks to both. I was leaning towards solar as it doesn't require ongoing supplies to keep generating power which is appealing. Just have to come up with an efficient design for that ratio now.

How is the 0.84 calculated?

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

i resolved to use 2 blueprints.
one for solar-cells and some akkus to fill in the crack because of the substation.
one for a enterily akku-area

so every time i feel i need one of the two blueprints, i stamp it int the land and lets forget the ratio as in mid/later game this is not really a concern because you have enough supplies then......

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

One thing worth saying, is that nuclear is an interesting challenge in terms of efficient plant design, so if you haven't built a nuclear plant yet, you should definitely do so at least once. But I find solar more convenient to build and scale (plus it wins from a UPS perspective).

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

If the panels don't need to be near the accumulators, could you not just build a farm of, say, 1000 panels, and then a separate farm of 840 accumulators in a separate place on the same electric network? Rather than trying to fit them all in the same area next to each other?

I would like to learn a nuclear design, so have not ruled that out in the future (will almost definitely do it at some point)

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Yes, seperating solar farms and Accumulators is perfectly possible. Also, it does look nicer ;)

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

theolderbeholder wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:55 pm
Yes, seperating solar farms and Accumulators is perfectly possible. Also, it does look nicer ;)
Is there any benefit to keeping them together in arrays? e.g. like this https://factorioprints.com/view/-KYeNAYQVgk2DcbuORde

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

You do retain the perfect ratio, no matter how many blueprints you put down. Personally, I do like to have some spare capacity "just in case" but ymmv.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

I would see it as a convenience thing. You do not have to count how many solar panels you just put down and then calculate how many accumulators you need to match. It also makes sure you have coverage into the electrical network.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

Thanks guys. I decided to go with an array rather than separate farms. Like you say, it will make it easier to keep track of how many of each I have.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

je11693 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 am
84 accumulators for every 100 solar panels.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 am
je11693 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 am
84 accumulators for every 100 solar panels.
Yeah I understood it was 84 for every 100. I was asking how the 0.84 figure was actually got to ie what formula was used to work it out. I think it's shown in the link posted earlier.

Return to “Gameplay Help”