Red belt throughput

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Red belt throughput

Post by Alien_Squasher »

So I found something interesting out. So I set up 10 Green circuit assembly machine 1s using the perfect ratio of copper wire to GC of 3:2. Since GC take 0.5 second to make 10×2=20/s. Mathematically this should fill 4/5 of a red belt as it has a throughput of 26.67 items/s, but it only fills 4/5 of one side This surprised me as I was trying to run throughput calculations for 4 belts of GC, so it actually takes in total 20 GC machines to fill 4/5 of a red belt.

The devs should make the note for belts 26.67 or 13.33 or 40 items/second/side just because I mean before now and I'm building a megabase i never even knew that :P
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Red belt throughput

Post by Loewchen »

The error is in your production calculation not in the belt throughput though.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

Assembler 1s take 1 sec to make copper wire, not .5 seconds.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:38 am
Assembler 1s take 1 sec to make copper wire, not .5 seconds.
The process takes 1 second in Assembler 1's, but you get 2 wires out of it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

No, it is 26.67 total items/s. Assembly machine 1s have a crafting speed of 0.5, meaning that 10 will make 10x2x0.5=10gc/s.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Also don't put copper wires on a belt. Feed it directly to the consuming assemblers.

For example for green circuit boards you place 3 assemblers for copper cable next to 2 assemblers for boards and 6 inserters to move the copper cables to get the perfect 3:2 ratio. Saves 50% of the inserters, the UPS for the belts and is more compact.

It's a good idea for anything with more output that input.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Just to be 100% clear - Belt throughput (both sides combined) is the listed number. Half a belt is half the number listed in the game.

Proof:
20181123053010_1.jpg
20181123053010_1.jpg (792.89 KiB) Viewed 4594 times

Perhaps you will find this beltometer to be useful in the future. It is one of my most used blueprints when I'm designing stuff.

Clamp it to any belt to measure actual throughput.
The X=-1 constant combinator turns it on/off and resets it.
Output is on the red wire connected to the substation.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Alien_Squasher wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:16 am
So I found something interesting out. So I set up 10 Green circuit assembly machine 1s using the perfect ratio of copper wire to GC of 3:2. Since GC take 0.5 second to make 10×2=20/s. Mathematically this should fill 4/5 of a red belt as it has a throughput of 26.67 items/s, but it only fills 4/5 of one side This surprised me as I was trying to run throughput calculations for 4 belts of GC, so it actually takes in total 20 GC machines to fill 4/5 of a red belt.

The devs should make the note for belts 26.67 or 13.33 or 40 items/second/side just because I mean before now and I'm building a megabase i never even knew that :P
As others have stated, you did not take into account the speed of the machine making the GC’s. AM1’s are 0.5, which is slower than handcrafting. AM2’s are 0.75, which is 50% faster than an AM1, but still slower than handcrafting. AM3’s are 1.25, which is 66% faster than an AM2 and 150% faster than an AM1, and 25% faster than handcrafting.

Number_Machines*Machine_Speed*Recipe_Craft_Time=Desired_Output. Fill in the three you know and solve for the fourth. For any recipe, you know the Machine Speed and the Craft Time, that information is given in-game.

If you know how many machines you want to use, you can use this to determine their output. If you know you want to fill a belt, and want to know how many machines it takes, solve for that instead. Its simple algebra.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

astroshak wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:24 pm
Alien_Squasher wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:16 am

As others have stated, you did not take into account the speed of the machine making the GC’s. AM1’s are 0.5, which is slower than handcrafting. AM2’s are 0.75, which is 50% faster than an AM1, but still slower than handcrafting. AM3’s are 1.25, which is 66% faster than an AM2 and 150% faster than an AM1, and 25% faster than handcrafting.

Number_Machines*Machine_Speed*Recipe_Craft_Time=Desired_Output. Fill in the three you know and solve for the fourth. For any recipe, you know the Machine Speed and the Craft Time, that information is given in-game.

If you know how many machines you want to use, you can use this to determine their output. If you know you want to fill a belt, and want to know how many machines it takes, solve for that instead. Its simple algebra.
Or use hellmod to do the spreadsheet computations for you.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I have a hard time figuring that mod out, personally. So rather than recommend something I can’t really make good use of, and since he was trying to do the math, I decided instead to put forth the right formula.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

LOL. I can't believe I didn't look at the assembler's crafting speed of 0.5.... Honestly, I never even thought about that.
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Return to “Gameplay Help”